Highlighted
GriffinM
1 Copper

Insignia Ultrabook Charger lowering performance?

Hi! Recently my old AC adapter stopped working (45w) so today I went and bought a 65w Insignia Ultrabook Charger. I plugged it into my PC but then realized that my performance dropped harshly. Is there anyway to fix?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ejn63
5 Rhenium

Re: Insignia Ultrabook Charger lowering performance?

You'll probably find that if you check, the AC adapter isn't recognized (F2 at powerup). If so, the system will run as if on battery all the time.

Most third-party adapters like this one will run the system but will not complete the circuit necessary to charge the battery and run the system at full speed - for that, you must use an OEM adapter.

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Rhenium

Re: Insignia Ultrabook Charger lowering performance?

ejn63 is correct. The only Dell laptops that will reliably work with third-party chargers are the ones that support being charged over USB-C, in which case you can use any charger that supports the USB Power Delivery standard and provides the required wattage. With non-USB-C chargers (or even USB-C chargers that don’t provide enough wattage), the system will either charge slowly or not charge at all, and/or it may severely throttle its performance to keep its power consumption at a safe level if it can’t detect how much wattage the AC adapter can supply.

On a side note, when asking questions like this it’s generally helpful to mention the system model you have.
0 Kudos