Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

2 Posts

August 14th, 2020 12:00

Insp 17 won't turn on. charger light stays on half a second then off when charger connected.

Hello, would really appreciate some advice, my Inspiron 17 (8 months old) suddenly died on me yesterday. It won't turn on and when I connect the charger, the laptop charging light only stays on for a second before going off and staying off. Charger LED is on so I don't think it's a charger issue.

Advice on how to proceed much appreciated! I didn't make much headway with the Dell troubleshooting guides. I'm not all that techie so simple instructions would be great! Thank you! 

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

August 14th, 2020 12:00

There is a short circuit in the system - call Dell to arrange warranty repair.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

August 14th, 2020 13:00

It's not likely, but there's no harm in unplugging the system, removing the base cover and disconnecting the battery to see if the behavior changes.  Whether it does or doesn't, you're in for a warranty repair either way, but you'll know whether it's the battery causing the internal short, or the some other component (the DC jack or the mainboard would be the other possibilities).

2 Posts

August 14th, 2020 13:00

So definitely not the battery then? Bit concerned to send it off for repair and would rather try a couple of things myself to avoid that if possible.

No Events found!