Start a Conversation

Unsolved

U

1 Message

February 28th, 2020 14:00

Inspirion 14-3452 out of memory; can't update

Can't update Win 10. Says OUT of MEMORY.  Why would any reputable company sell something that has NO HDD or SSD that can be upgraded. Don't want to trash it, but, running 1803 now and can't upgrade to newer Win 10 because there's nowhere to put it. Very, Very SAD    This was a gift.  Any fixes without buying something else?

3 Apprentice

• 

546 Posts

February 28th, 2020 14:00

Did you try running Disk Cleanup (clean up system files) to free up space? How about CCleaner? Removed any unwanted or unused programs? Did you insert a USB flash drive or a memory card with enough space for temporary setup files when setup asks for it?

Unfortunately, your problem is very common. Assuming that you have 32 gigabytes of internal storage, there is usually not enough room available for personal files, additional programs or major Windows updates to co-exist. Windows 10 itself takes up close to 20 GB, leaving around 10 GB of available space. If you have pictures and/or videos on your computer or very large programs installed, then free space really becomes an issue. You can move your personal files to a SD card and just leave the SD card inserted all the time for additional space.

Also, your computer looks very similar to my neighbor's, and he too has the same problem. All I know is that I tried to explore upgrade options for him, and even though he has a spot to install a 2.5" hard drive or SSD, there is (a) no caddy tray that allows you in mount the drive and (b) no SATA port soldered on the motherboard. Basically, it's what I call a tablet disguised as a laptop.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

February 28th, 2020 15:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @usersuper1 

Yes it is sad that all reputable companies sold something that has NO HDD or SSD that can be upgraded.

There are a few options but it takes some time and experience???

I am an "Expert" on the HP forum and a member has worked out a few options.

Updating Windows 10 OS on an HP Stream with 32 GB eMMC memory

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Knowledge-Base/Updating-Windows-10-OS-on-an-HP-Stream-with-32-GB-eMMC/ta-p/6999369

It may be for an HP but the process is the same.

Good luck,

U2

105 Posts

February 28th, 2020 18:00

You can buy a memory module to install, or other methods
Step 1: Turn on the computer, right-click "My Computer", and select "Properties".
Step 2: Then click "Settings" in the "Advanced" performance box.
Step 3: Click Change of virtual memory again.
Step 4: Mark "System Management Size" and click "OK".

• 

25K Posts

February 29th, 2020 08:00

We tried reaching you on a private message but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

No Events found!