Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 21st, 2020 09:00

Inspirion 15 5570 battery charging issues

My Grandson has two inspirion 15 5570 computers that stay at different houses to avoid transporting.  Recently both have developed the identical issue. 

1. The charging light flashes 3 amber and one white. (Manual states CMOS battery dead). 

2. The battery does not charge. Battery health is o%.

3. I have replaced the battery and power cord in each and still have the same issue.

4. One suggestion was to update the Bios.  I have tried that and have been unsuccessful even with /forceit switch.

Does anyone have anymore suggestions?

Thank you in advance

Grampa H 

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

November 21st, 2020 10:00

An unrecognized adapter is one of three things:

The adapter is faulty (most likely a damaged plug or center pin,

A damaged DC jack in the system.

or

A blown out charge circuit on the system board.

Try a new OEM adapter first, replace the DC jack second -- and if neither of those gets the adapter recognized, it's the system board that's faulty.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

November 21st, 2020 09:00

Check setup (F2 at powerup) to ensure the AC adapter is recognized by the system (it'll show "unknown" if it is not).  If the adapter is unrecognized, the battery will not charge, which may be the problem.

If the adapter IS recognized, and the battery health is at zero, you need a new main battery, and if the system has been this way for a while, the CMOS/reserve battery -- a CR-2032 lithium button cell -- is likely dead as well

Both batteries are easily replaced on this model;  the service manual has the details.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/inspiron-15-5570-laptop/docs

2 Posts

November 21st, 2020 10:00

The charger is not recognized, the CMOS battery us 3.158 volts. The chances of both batteries and both chargers going at the same time is highly unlikely.  The computer boots to warning screen where you perform diagnostics.  Battery replacement gave the same results.

Grammar H

1 Message

August 6th, 2021 14:00

My friend & I each bought the same Dell Inspiron laptops about a year ago & his had charging problems after a couple of months - mine after a year mine has the same problem.

Look at the cord - Is there a surprisingly heavy black cylinder (@13 grams from my measurement) on the cord about 6 inches from the end you plug into the computer?

Seems obvious to me if you don't support the weight of this cylinder when charging your laptop it will eventually damage your charge port. Pretty hard to support it if 6 inches down the cord.

If you place the cord over laptop, reversing the way it's been pulled by the weight mine will charge - (I don't have a battery issue - A tip: if you always  leave it plugged in it will eventually kill the battery, it forgets how to hold a charge)

This isn't my first Dell laptop & I looked at the old cord for a Lattitude & it has the same heavy cylinder but only 2 inches from plug - I never noticed it & was pretty surprised because this seems like a design problem to me. I'm just starting to look for other having similar issues because I'm finding no easy solution.

No Events found!