LUMCLady
2 Bronze

Re: Inspiron 11 3000 (3180) mini PCIe M.2 SSD Upgrade

Were you able to  get this upgrade completed and, if so, what was involved?

0 Kudos
chandto
2 Bronze

Thanks for sharing this information.  I have been successful getting a drive to work like you posted.  My only question is how where you able to tell the bios which drive to boot from?  I didn't see anywhere in the bios where I could do that.

Appreciate any information you can share.

Thanks

Charles.

0 Kudos
akline316
2 Bronze

Does anyone know where the black and white wires go from the WLAN board? Do they attach to the new adaptor board and where?

0 Kudos
akline316
2 Bronze

20210313_160308.jpg

0 Kudos
akline316
2 Bronze

20210313_160331.jpg

0 Kudos
Clintlgm
4 Beryllium

Those are antenna wires for a WiFi card, as far as booting. You should boot to F12 and from there boot your new SSD.

Same if you're going to Clone your Hard Drive boot F12 and select your rescue USB then clone from there

Same for Clean Install except you'll most likely have to Install the IRST Driver 

f6flpy-x64.zip

After the first boot using F12 then select your New SSD Clone/ Clean install, your system will from then on boot from your SSD

- Please kudos posts you like!
- Please "Accept as Solution" posts that are a solution.

Inspiron 13 -7386
16GB RAM
Samxung 970 Evo 1TB SSD 2nd SSD 512 GB Hynix

Precision 3440 SFF CTO BASE, VIntel Xeon W-1250 (6 Core, 12M cache, base 3.3GHz, up to 4.7GHz) 16GB 2X8GB DDR4 2666MHz or 2933MHz (2933MHz requires Intel Core i7 or above) UDIMM Non-ECC Memory Windows 10 Pro for Workstations
0 Kudos
Obenwan
2 Bronze

What did you do to get the system to recognize the new SSD?

I ordered the parts, installed them, and have been trying to get the system to recognize the SSD but to no avail.

0 Kudos
asvick
2 Bronze

This worked for me although it took a while to figure how to switch to the new drive to boot. After you do the hardware addition, use win10 disk management to create a partition and format the drive to make sure it works ok (R/W) in windows. I also created a win10 rescue usb just incase anything went wrong. Next, I restored the image made previously onto the NEW drive but WITHOUT the WIN Recovery partition (just un-click the check box on the last partition to the right. You have to do that so that next, you can extend the OS volume all the way to the end of the new drive with disk management. Otherwise you won't be able to extend the OS volume beyond the recovery partition. You can also unselect it when you make the image but I wanted to have a full path backwards in case something went awry. I used the a 128GB mmc card to save the image to but you could use a usb or ext drive too. If all that worked and you can see the the os files on the new disk, then you're ready to switch over the boot. Here, for a UEFI boot, I had to use a command window in administrator mode to run "bcdboot c:/windows /s <drive letter with colon  of new drive>" example: "bcdboot c:/windows /s e:". This creates a new entry in the boot store and copies info from the original drive to the new one. Now restart the machine and start pressing the F12 key till the bios boot screen shows. use your cursor keys to select the new drive(should show NVMe in the line or select the one that isn't selected) and reboot. You should find that you now have lots of extra space. I also bought one of the wifi dongles so I can get the 5ghz signal off my router. That will help a bit because now there's a lot of updating to do with windows. You can also get to the F12 boot screen through the control panel by the "update and security|recovery|advance startup", and after it reboots select the troubleshooting button but the reboot and keep hitting F12 from when the screen goes black is a little simpler I think. After all the updating etc., the system only used about 40GB of space out of 447GB so I have plenty of space to spare and the battery still runs it about 3 hours with the change over. Cost me about $100 for the parts. I had to poke windows update to reinstall the driver for my 128GB mmc card but after a couple more reboots that was working too. Be careful to insulate the NVMe drive card from the metal inside the housing so it doesn't short out. I snipped the static free bag the adapter card came in to the right length and slipped it into that and it worked fine, just placed carefully in the back of the machine.

0 Kudos
asvick
2 Bronze

The image I mention for above was made by macrium reflect (free) and saved on the 128GB emmc.

0 Kudos