lord swiftness
1 Copper

Inspiron 11 (3168) 8GB Memory Upgrade

On my Dell Support Assist (updated) It says that my Inspiron 11 3168 with my service tag and service code has Memory: 4.00GB installed of 8.00 GB supported and when I click on the blue highlighted memory word the details say the same. That it can support 8GB of memory. Yet i see alot of posts saying it doesn't. Wanting to get the info "411" of whats going on and how I'd go about upgrading it to 8GB memory.  Its Inspiron 11 3168 Intel Pentium N3710 CPU touch screen version 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
ejn63
5 Rhenium

Re: Inspiron 11 (3168) 8GB Memory Upgrade

This system comes with either 2 or 4G RAM - both soldered to the board.  There is no memory socket in the system, so neither version can be upgraded.

Brantley Lott
1 Copper

That is incorrect.  The memory is removable by spreading the securing clips and removing the chip when it pops up. 

0 Kudos
juduque
1 Nickel

Hello!

The upgrade to 8gb was done?

Is it working?

0 Kudos
gtab
1 Copper

There is two different motherboards on this model. One is like a tablet, 4gig  of memory soldered on to the motherboard and 32gig of emmc flash memory for storage. The other has one SO DIMM slot for RAM and comes populated with one 4gig SO DIMM, and has a 500gig 2.5" HDD for storage. When you purchase one, get the one with the 500gig HDD, it is the one that can be upgraded. The RAM can be replaced with an 8gig SO DIMM, and the HDD can be replaced with an SSD. You can install whatever OS you want on it, or I recommend cloning the original HDD to the new SSD. I have read all of this in several reviews, while researching my purchase. I am waiting for FedEx to deliver my new Inspiron 11, already got a 1TB SSD and an 8 gig stick of RAM. This will most likely void the warranty, I would think.  

sonikyth
1 Copper

gtab, I have the same model with the 4GB SODIMM and 500GB 2.5" ATA drive. Can you confirm when you install the 8GB stick that the BIOS recognizes it? Thanks!
0 Kudos
Gerd0
1 Copper

Hi! Ihave the same model. Can you confirm with kind of stick do you use to expand the RAM and if it works?

0 Kudos