Steve Ot
1 Copper

Inspiron 11 3168 Unable to install OS

Unable to install Windows 10 OS after system corruption.

Using the Dell OS Recovery Tool it's downloading RW47KA00_W10x64ROW_homeCOS.iso.

The Windows Installation gets to about 79% and 30 mins later, then  Indicates The computer/pc can't be reset/refreshed.

I am suspecting the Image download from Dell is to large for the 32GB Drive or it can't access the drive correctly.

Help!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ejn63
5 Rhenium

Re: Inspiron 11 3168 Unable to install OS

Are you attempting the reload/refresh from the system you're trying to restore?  If so,  you're likely correct about the shortage of space.  Write the ISO to a 16G or larger flash drive and then power up the system with the drive attached. Press F12 at powerup to boot from the flash drive and then load the OS (being sure to clear out the entire drive first).

0 Kudos
Steve Ot
1 Copper

Yes trying to " reload/refresh from the system you're trying to restore"

The message I get after 79% is "There was a problem recovering your PC".

Booting of a Non-OEM WIndows 10 Home USB iso it appears it can't install to the 32GB eMMC storage even after being cleared/deleted.  It indicates that the system may not boot due to Hardware or BIOS.

Is there a older Dell Image available of Windows 10 Home? The Image Windows 10 version that shipped with the unit originally?

It appears the Dell OS recovery tool /ISO is the Fall creator update and maybe larger than original WIndows 10 build.

Or am I missing some Driver or BIOS setting that needs to changed?

0 Kudos
ieee488
6 Gallium

@Steve Otwrote:

Yes trying to " reload/refresh from the system you're trying to restore"

The message I get after 79% is "There was a problem recovering your PC".

Booting of a Non-OEM WIndows 10 Home USB iso it appears it can't install to the 32GB eMMC storage even after being cleared/deleted.  It indicates that the system may not boot due to Hardware or BIOS.

Is there a older Dell Image available of Windows 10 Home? The Image Windows 10 version that shipped with the unit originally?

It appears the Dell OS recovery tool /ISO is the Fall creator update and maybe larger than original WIndows 10 build.

Or am I missing some Driver or BIOS setting that needs to changed?

I have a Lenovo Ideapad 120S with the same 32 GB eMMC hard drive.

Yesterday, May 6, 2018, I did a clean install of Windows 10 1803 on the hard drive.

1. back up your data; the next steps will wipe the hard drive if you do it correctly

2. download and install Microsoft Media Creation Tool ( https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10 )

3. use MCT to create a bootable USB flash drive

4. insert USB flash drive into your laptop

5. re-boot

6. hit F12 key repeatedly to get to boot menu and choose to boot from USB flash drive

7. install Windows 10 by choosing Custom not Upgrade

I ended up with about 15 GB of free hard drive space.

In the future save your files to microSD card.

jara2788
1 Copper

Almost a week trying to reinstall Win10 on the Dell "Laptop" and only this worked!! Thank you!

0 Kudos