Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

25 Posts

May 21st, 2020 11:00

Inspiron 1150 optical drive

I have a Dell Inspiron 1150 fitted with a NEC ND 5100A optical drive which is faulty.Can I replace this with a NEC ND 6650A drive and what problems ,if any, may I encounter?

2 Posts

May 21st, 2020 12:00

Mary G is somewhat wrong. If it fits, it will work.

nyc10036 was right, you can get one cheap on ebay or sometimes Amazon.

You don't need one that is specific for that laptop. Just look at the back to see what type connectors and screw holes it has, there are at least 3 different types of connectors, SATA, IDE, etc.... Sometimes there is a little angled piece of metal for the screw that holds it in place (the screw on the bottom of the laptop you take out to remove the drive) that you will need to take from the old one and put it on the new one to hold it in place. Also, if you get one not meant for that laptop, you will need to take the face-plate off the old and put it on the new, I've done this many times.

If it fits, it will work. If the laptop works, keep it.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

That XP model computer is really old tech now. Consider replacing it with a newer computer. Replacing parts means finding the original part. It probably will be impossible to find. It would not be worth it if you could find it.

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_inspiron_laptop/inspiron-1150_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

5.6K Posts

@johnmatthews 

according to a post https://www.dell.com/community/Storage-Drives-Media/inspiron-1150-dvd-RW-compatability/td-p/1736366  6650 or 6750 will work

buy one on eBay ; you'll be able to find one there

June 3rd, 2020 10:00

Many thanks for your reply .Yes, I did manage to get an IDE drive,Inspiron 1501 NEC AD-5560A, from Ebay very cheap. As you say I did need to remove the bezel to enable fitting and it worked a treat! Unfortunately the original bezel wouldn`t fit but I have managed to trim the new one with a file and although it doesn`t  fit the gap perfectly it works fine

No Events found!