Highlighted
2 Iron

Inspiron 13-5379, glitchy backlight?

The backlight on my keyboard is kind of glitchy, most of the time when I press the button it doesn't turn on. Or it turns on randomly after like 20 minutes of pressing the button out of nowhere, and sometimes I notice that it appears dim when I turn it on. Most of the time though, it never turns on when I press the button πŸ˜•

7 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Inspiron 13-5379, glitchy backlight?

* How long have you had the laptop?
* Was the issue out of box? If not, what operating system or driver changes did you make prior to the issue appearing?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Can you just tell me which software driver affects the keyboard back light? I don't have time to send my laptop in I use it everyday.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

I never mentioned sending the laptop in?

The Inspiron 13-5379 2-in-1 keyboard illumination is controlled in three ways =
1. BIOS- System Configuration- Keyboard Illumination should be set to Bright
2. Windows Mobility Center, Dell Power Manager Service
How to resolve LED issues with your Backlit Keyboard using the latest Dell Utility

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

When I am in the BIOS, I have the option for "Keyboard Illumination", but whenever I change the setting in there the backlight doesn't actually turn on. I tried installing quickset (I was told to uninstall this app due to it being incompatible with dell power manager) and Dell Feature Enhancement Pack Utility, but none of them seem to be affecting my backlight πŸ˜• I'm starting to think it might be a hardware issue, the keyboard doesn't light up on boot either (it used to).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Are you running BIOS 1.10.0? When in the BIOS and you choose Bright, then Exit, did it ask if you wanted to Save the changes? The services are the Windows Mobility Center and Dell Power Manager as shown in that article I linked earlier.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Yes sir, I have it all saved. I'm not sure why it won't turn on anymore, it randomly turned on yesterday for a few seconds but it's been unresponsive ever since.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Due to private data, sent you a private message.

0 Kudos