Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

30 Posts

November 15th, 2018 09:00

Inspiron 13-7370, LCD won't wake up

I have an Inspiron 13-7370 running Windows 10 build 1803.

If the display turns off due to the normal power saving setting, it won't turn back on.  I have to hold the power button down to force the machine to turn off, then reboot it.

This doesn't happen if I initiate a sleep or hibernate action (manually, or by closing the lid).  It only happens when the timer to turn off the display is triggered.  I've tried resetting the power plan to the default settings, but it made no difference.  I'm running the latest BIOS/UEFI version, and I'm running the latest graphics drivers from Intel for the i5-8250U (Intel UHD Graphics 620).

This started a couple of months ago.  The only thing I've been able to do is set the display to never turn off.  When the problem occurs, the keyboard LED lights up, but i can't get the display to come back on, and I can't get the system to rexpond to anything else.  (I've tried running commands with the display off, such as windows+r, shutdown -r -t 0, enter for a restart.  I've tried closing the lid then reopening it to try to trigger sleep mode.  Etc.)

Is this a known issue?  Is there an actual solution?

January 14th, 2019 15:00

Did you ever find a solution to this?  Same problem and I'm getting **bleep**.

February 15th, 2019 02:00

Another one here. Inspiron 13 7000, was overheating but no wake up problem. Tech replaced the motherboard, didn't really help with the heat and now it also does not lit the display on the wakeup. Latest drivers, bios, etc.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

February 15th, 2019 05:00

Thank you for your message. What is the status of the power button light when you try to wake it up, is the light pulsing amber or white?

What is the BIOS version installed?

Is the issue observed with an external monitor connected?

Open device manager – expand display adapter – right click on the display driver & click on uninstall (do not check the box that says delete driver) & restart the computer. This will refresh the driver.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

How to locate the service tag

23 Posts

February 15th, 2019 09:00

I am having the same issue and it is driving me crazy.

I leave my 7370 laptop plugged in to an HDMI monitor, keyboard and mouse a majority of the time. At night I lock it (WIndows-L) and the next day, there are times that the machine is still running (the fan is running for instance), the power button is lit white, but the mouse/keyboard will not wake up the screen. I am not able to connect to the laptop when it is in this state using Team Viewer and I cannot get the screen to wake up at all. I end up having to hold down the power button to force it to shut off, and then power it back up again.

There usually isn't anything of value in the Eventviewer after this happens either - just a Kernel-power message stating that the laptop was not cleanly shut down.

I have messed around with various Power settings (disabled Fast Boot, disabled Hibernate, changed Power Management settings for USB devices within Device Manager) but have not been able to pin this down. I feel like my last resort might be to wipe and reinstall the OS to see if that helps.

Any solutions to this? It's getting to the point where I don't trust leaving anything open on this machine because I have no idea what state it will be in the next time I see it. 

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

February 15th, 2019 10:00

What is the exact system model in question here?

The boot time seems to be fine. Please restart the computer & tap F2 to get into BIOS, click on the advanced tab – battery charge configuration – change from Adaptive to standard or from standard to custom- change to 100 %.

3 Posts

March 23rd, 2019 03:00

I also have the same problem for Inspiron 13 7370.

30 Posts

March 23rd, 2019 20:00

This is happening to an Inspiron 7370 with BIOS version 1.13.1, an Intel i7-8550U CPU, and no external display. The system is running Windows 10 x64 version 1809 with the latest updates. The system experiences this issue when running the latest Dell graphics drivers and when running the latest graphics drivers obtained from Intel directly. When this happens, the power light is solid white. The system is on. It is not in sleep/suspend/hibernate. The display is off. Yet nothing can make the display wake. Issuing commands doesn't seem to work either. I've also tried uninstalling all versions of the driver via the device manager, and loading many different graphics driver versions from both Dell and Intel directly.

16 Posts

March 24th, 2019 08:00

I'm not very proficient so every time a problem arises, I start from scratch.

I've got a Dell 7373, i7-8550U, Bios version 1.13.1 12/10/2018.  I updated the Bios this morning. 

I use this computer as a Media Server.  The problem persists, with and without external drives plugged in.  I have the power settings set to never put the computer to sleep because I access the computer when I'm on the road, via Plex.  The monitor is set to sleep after 5 minutes of inactivity.

All drivers are up to date. 

When this happens, the computer tends to run hot and the fan seems to be working overtime.

I've been poking around online and the Bios update has been the fix for some, while others are still struggling after multiple attempts to fix the problem.  What is Dell doing to fix this?

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

March 25th, 2019 06:00

Have you tried changing the time of monitor turn off when inactive?  Maybe something to 2 minutes?

Disable monitor turn off when inactive & enable sleep mode & check if the computer goes to sleep mode & wakes up correctly from sleep.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.     

How to locate the service tag

30 Posts

March 25th, 2019 12:00

In my case, whenever I try a new BIOS or new driver, I then set the monitor turn off time to 2 minutes or 5 minutes or whatever for testing purposes.

Then I let the laptop sit on the Windows desktop for a few minutes until the screen turns off.

Then I try to turn the screen on by touching the trackpad, pressing a key on the keyboard, or pressing the power button.

It never works, and I have to hold the power button to turn the laptop off.

Then I set it back to never turn off the display.

Then I test sleep/wake by closing the lid, making sure it entered sleep mode, then opening the lid and making sure it wakes up.  This works without issue.

The display off and on functionality used to work as expected, back in late 2017 / early 2018.  But some time in 2018, it stopped working.  My guess is it's either some Windows 10 update, some driver update, or some incompatibility between the two.

I have also testing enabling the USB wake functionality in the BIOS as well as changing the battery charging mode to Standard instead of Adaptive.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

March 25th, 2019 14:00

This issue was temporarily resolved when we set up a new local admin account.

Please create a local admin account by following this link & check if the issue persists.

1 Message

March 26th, 2019 14:00

Hi, 

I'm having the same problem (Screen hibernating and not waking up even though mouse and key board is active and power button is white) as of about 6 months ago on my Inspiron 23, Model 5348, but I figured away to activate the screen without rebooting (most of the time).

On my all-in-one screen based PC, there is a button above the power button on the right side of the monitor which cycles the monitor interface between HDMI and PC.  I cycle through this one time (PC->HDMI->PC) and the screen turns on.

Here are my PC details:

image.png

Any further info on this or how to fix it?

Thanks.

30 Posts

March 26th, 2019 15:00

I can check if a new user profile fixes it for testing purposes, but I won't be able to do so for some time (weeks or months) as I am away from that laptop.  I'll report back when I can, but even if a new user profile fixes it, I would hope Dell is looking into the actual cause in order to find a permanent fix, and hopefully one that can be applied to existing user profiles.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

March 27th, 2019 06:00

We were able to fix this with a temporary local admin account.

This has been escalated to our product team & they are working on this. There is no issue with the hardware here as the system works fine with a new account.

30 Posts

March 27th, 2019 10:00

Thanks for the update. Will this thread be updated when the product team has resolved (hopefully) the issue?

No Events found!