Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

4 Posts

January 18th, 2019 06:00

Inspiron 13-7000 - battery

Hello! I recently bought an Inspiron 13 - 7000 and lately it started having the following problem. Premise: I try to never have the laptop on low battery. Anyway when I use it without having it connected to the power cable and on a good level of battery, it looks like it shuts down. If I restart it (still on the battery) I get a white screen saying "Battery is critically low". If I plug the power cable it restarts without problems but when, right after the restart, I check the battery it is usually in a quite good shape, e.g. around 60%. This is super annoying! What can the problem be? Thanks! Francesco

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

January 18th, 2019 08:00

Thank you for your message. What is the exact system model in question here?

What is the BIOS version installed?

Please disconnect the power cord, press & hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Connect the power cord, start the computer & tap F2 to get into BIOS & check status of the battery & AC Adapter

Are you turning off the computer by clicking on shutdown on the start menu? Could be that the system is going to a modern standby, where the system is connected in the background.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

How to locate the service tag

2 Posts

January 18th, 2019 13:00

My Inspiron 13 battery has the same problem after 2 years of use.  If I disabled all low battery warning and auto shutdown, I can get a few hours of use out of the battery although it reported 2% remaining.  After you drained it two times, the battery health will become better.  However, I eventually ordered a refurbished battery from Dell as they don't carry new battery for their own laptops.

January 20th, 2019 08:00

Hi SreejithR, The BIOS version is "Dell Inc. 1.1.0" from 22/08/2018. From inside the BIOS I see that Battery Health is Excellent and AC Adapter is 45W. I always turn off the computer using the start menu, but sometimes I just close it letting it go to some kind of sleep I guess. As you asked, the other info are in a PM. Thanks! Francesco

March 31st, 2019 20:00

did you fix the problems? looks like I have same problem

April 1st, 2019 10:00

with the help of @SreejithR  I kind of fixed the problem: I don't suffert the issue I described before, but I see that I switch on my laptop without having it plugged it freezes soon wanting to be plugged, even if the battery is ok. If instead I switch it on having it plugged and after it has started I unplug it, everything is fine and it goes on its battery with no problems :\

1 Message

April 30th, 2019 11:00

Hi 

I noticed this topic and I got the same problem that is an ongoing case in Dell UK support.

I got 2 laptops cause Dell send me replacement laptop and both have the same issues. The same as described.

At some point, I did have in replacement laptop mainboard and battery changed. The issue was still there.

I tested with BIOS 1.1 1.2 1.4 and now with 1.5.

I made a lot of videos and a lot of testing.

Do you know what is causing the issue??

May 1st, 2019 06:00

I think we should ask @SreejithR what the cause of the issue is. With his help I kind of fixed the problem (as explained in the other answer). In the end I think some piece of software was forcing the laptop to think that the battery was critically low even if it wasn't, it doesn't look like a problem of the battery itself.

1 Message

August 5th, 2019 18:00

We bought 2 of these laptops (Inspiron 13 7000) and both are having battery issues.  One won't hold a charge unless it is plugged into an outlet.  The other will hold a charge for 10 minutes before dying.  A work around was to get a portable power pack that holds enough recharge for 2 hours of use on the laptop.  This is quite an inconvenience, and given that so many others are having similar issues it seems there is a malfunction with this model.  Are there any other updates/fixes for this?  These laptops are not that old and I would expect more from a Dell investment.

1 Message

January 9th, 2020 09:00

I bought one of these laptops 16 months ago and have the same problem...battery now needs replacing.  My old Toshiba is 6 years old and still going strong...whats going on?

1 Message

January 25th, 2020 14:00

My Inspiiron 13-7000 is brand new (20 days old) and is having this issue.  I charge to full charge and turn off over night.  when I restart after shutdown... the battery quickly shows 90+ % but then a critical low message is displayed.  this isn't right.  something is going on with this brand new laptop. 

January 28th, 2020 03:00

Hello Dell team,

I am also having the same issue. I bought my laptop 18 months back but the battery lasts only 40 minutes maximum now. I have paid around 70k INR for the laptop and now i am not able to use the laptop properly. 

FYI I don't  play games at all, and keep in battery saver mode every time I use the laptop.

Thanks.

1 Message

February 25th, 2020 06:00

mine one even worst. on my mouse pad side it is ''pregnant'' and i can hardly close my lid now ... all the while the battery is  not even last for 2 hours and its really sad and annoying.

3 Posts

March 17th, 2021 21:00

I had the same problem I even went as far as buying a new battery and it still dosent stay on unplugged 

1 Message

July 17th, 2021 18:00

My Inspiron 13-7000 was purchased in 2019 and I've had the problem since day 1.  I tried asking for help from Dell support and they were supposed to send me a box to return the laptop for repair, but it never arrived and by the time I just used it with the cord attached all the time.  My friend finally bugged me to call again and they promised again to send a box for return so that they could look at it after trying over the phone to troubleshoot.  Again, the box never came so I've been stuck using it plugged in.   My warranty ran out so I've been living with it, but now I see many others have had the same issue.  I wanted to register my complaint here on the forum to add to the others.

My BIOS is Dell 1.6.0, 7/19/2019

System Model: Inspiron 7386

System SKU: 0894

No Events found!