Highlighted
1 Copper

Inspiron 13-7000 - battery

Hello! I recently bought an Inspiron 13 - 7000 and lately it started having the following problem. Premise: I try to never have the laptop on low battery. Anyway when I use it without having it connected to the power cable and on a good level of battery, it looks like it shuts down. If I restart it (still on the battery) I get a white screen saying "Battery is critically low". If I plug the power cable it restarts without problems but when, right after the restart, I check the battery it is usually in a quite good shape, e.g. around 60%. This is super annoying! What can the problem be? Thanks! Francesco
Labels (2)
12 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Inspiron 13-7000 - battery

Thank you for your message. What is the exact system model in question here?

What is the BIOS version installed?

Please disconnect the power cord, press & hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Connect the power cord, start the computer & tap F2 to get into BIOS & check status of the battery & AC Adapter

Are you turning off the computer by clicking on shutdown on the start menu? Could be that the system is going to a modern standby, where the system is connected in the background.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

How to locate the service tag

Highlighted
1 Copper

Hi SreejithR, The BIOS version is "Dell Inc. 1.1.0" from 22/08/2018. From inside the BIOS I see that Battery Health is Excellent and AC Adapter is 45W. I always turn off the computer using the start menu, but sometimes I just close it letting it go to some kind of sleep I guess. As you asked, the other info are in a PM. Thanks! Francesco
Highlighted
1 Copper

did you fix the problems? looks like I have same problem

Highlighted
1 Copper

with the help of @Dell-SreejithR  I kind of fixed the problem: I don't suffert the issue I described before, but I see that I switch on my laptop without having it plugged it freezes soon wanting to be plugged, even if the battery is ok. If instead I switch it on having it plugged and after it has started I unplug it, everything is fine and it goes on its battery with no problems 😕

Highlighted
1 Copper

Hi 

I noticed this topic and I got the same problem that is an ongoing case in Dell UK support.

I got 2 laptops cause Dell send me replacement laptop and both have the same issues. The same as described.

At some point, I did have in replacement laptop mainboard and battery changed. The issue was still there.

I tested with BIOS 1.1 1.2 1.4 and now with 1.5.

I made a lot of videos and a lot of testing.

Do you know what is causing the issue??

Highlighted
1 Copper

I think we should ask @Dell-SreejithR what the cause of the issue is. With his help I kind of fixed the problem (as explained in the other answer). In the end I think some piece of software was forcing the laptop to think that the battery was critically low even if it wasn't, it doesn't look like a problem of the battery itself.
Highlighted
1 Copper

We bought 2 of these laptops (Inspiron 13 7000) and both are having battery issues.  One won't hold a charge unless it is plugged into an outlet.  The other will hold a charge for 10 minutes before dying.  A work around was to get a portable power pack that holds enough recharge for 2 hours of use on the laptop.  This is quite an inconvenience, and given that so many others are having similar issues it seems there is a malfunction with this model.  Are there any other updates/fixes for this?  These laptops are not that old and I would expect more from a Dell investment.

Highlighted
1 Copper

I bought one of these laptops 16 months ago and have the same problem...battery now needs replacing.  My old Toshiba is 6 years old and still going strong...whats going on?

Highlighted
Not applicable

My Inspiiron 13-7000 is brand new (20 days old) and is having this issue.  I charge to full charge and turn off over night.  when I restart after shutdown... the battery quickly shows 90+ % but then a critical low message is displayed.  this isn't right.  something is going on with this brand new laptop.