Highlighted
kbj0001
1 Copper

Re: Inspiron 13 7000 (7370) Display Won't Wake Up

I captured a bunch of evidence of this issue last night. Video and screen shots of versions here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Q5mVtC8myWBtyPmu5

In the video, the machine is set to turn off the screen at 2 minutes and go to sleep at 3 minutes. I also have a screen saver enabled.

• At :58, the screen saver comes on
  • At 1:54, the screen saver turns off. the screen is off and the power button is still glowing white.
  • At 3:18 i attempt to wake the machine, and as you can see the screen never comes back on.

In the rest of the screen shots you can see:

• Power & Sleep settings
  • Power Plan
  • Screen Saver settings
  • Windows OS version
  • Windows Update status
  • Dell Update status
  • BIOS version
  • Graphics driver version

I'm not sure what else I can capture at this point, but right now it very often will end up in this unresponsive state.

Highlighted

Highlighted
kbj0001
1 Copper

Just force installed this older driver - I'll give this a shot and report back.

Highlighted

Hi,

Please ignore the previous message.

I need couple more details before I forward  this to our internal team.
Please let me know.
> Are you trying to Wake up the system from Sleep using the Keyboard or Power button or just by opening the Lid?
> Please try loading the Power plan settings to default once and check if that helps. To do so, please go to start, search for Power settings, once you have the power options, click on the aditional power settings, click on change plan, select restore default settings for this plan. Save the changes and try to check for the issue.
> Meanwhile, please let me know which is the older driver that you are trying to force install it?
Do check for the issue after the driver installation.

DELL-Cares
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Highlighted
Saaj9
1 Copper

So, my machine is now scheduled for its 2nd System Board, cooling fans and now for the first time, heatsink replacement next week some time.

And hows this for advice...to prevent the issue from occurring again, dont put the machine in sleep mode, shut it down when not in use.  Really?

Highlighted
DreamM
1 Copper

Looks like this is still an issue going into 2020.

I am helping a poor friend who struggled constantly with her laptop for the last two years, having to force power off and on all the time.

Any solid solutions for this yet? Or is a motherboard replacement required?

Highlighted
kbj0001
1 Copper

I installed the older driver referenced above (24.20.100.6170, dated 6/18/2018) on 1/12/2018 and in the last 6 days this machine has not exhibited the 'black screen behavior' once. Interestingly, I have also noted that when the machine turns off the screen (turn off the screen after x min), it will first flash up the windows 10 lock screen, which the newer driver does not seem to do (once it turns off the screen, you see nothing else and then it never comes back).

I plan to uninstall this older driver and let Windows/Dell install the latest recommend driver today and verify that the newer driver exhibits the black screen issue we have all been struggling with.

Ivan Dmitrenko
1 Copper

Another one here. Inspiron 13 7000, was overheating but no wake up problem. Tech replaced the motherboard, didn't really help with the heat and now it also does not lit the display on the wakeup. Latest drivers, bios, etc.
Highlighted

Thank you for your message. What is the status of the power button light when you try to wake it up, is the light pulsing amber or white?

What is the BIOS version installed?

Is the issue observed with an external monitor connected?

Open device manager – expand display adapter – right click on the display driver & click on uninstall (do not check the box that says delete driver) & restart the computer. This will refresh the driver.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

How to locate the service tag

Highlighted
kbj0001
1 Copper

I am having the same issue and it is driving me crazy.

I leave my 7370 laptop plugged in to an HDMI monitor, keyboard and mouse a majority of the time. At night I lock it (WIndows-L) and the next day, there are times that the machine is still running (the fan is running for instance), the power button is lit white, but the mouse/keyboard will not wake up the screen. I am not able to connect to the laptop when it is in this state using Team Viewer and I cannot get the screen to wake up at all. I end up having to hold down the power button to force it to shut off, and then power it back up again.

There usually isn't anything of value in the Eventviewer after this happens either - just a Kernel-power message stating that the laptop was not cleanly shut down.

I have messed around with various Power settings (disabled Fast Boot, disabled Hibernate, changed Power Management settings for USB devices within Device Manager) but have not been able to pin this down. I feel like my last resort might be to wipe and reinstall the OS to see if that helps.

Any solutions to this? It's getting to the point where I don't trust leaving anything open on this machine because I have no idea what state it will be in the next time I see it.