Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

30 Posts

November 15th, 2018 09:00

Inspiron 13-7370, LCD won't wake up

I have an Inspiron 13-7370 running Windows 10 build 1803.

If the display turns off due to the normal power saving setting, it won't turn back on.  I have to hold the power button down to force the machine to turn off, then reboot it.

This doesn't happen if I initiate a sleep or hibernate action (manually, or by closing the lid).  It only happens when the timer to turn off the display is triggered.  I've tried resetting the power plan to the default settings, but it made no difference.  I'm running the latest BIOS/UEFI version, and I'm running the latest graphics drivers from Intel for the i5-8250U (Intel UHD Graphics 620).

This started a couple of months ago.  The only thing I've been able to do is set the display to never turn off.  When the problem occurs, the keyboard LED lights up, but i can't get the display to come back on, and I can't get the system to rexpond to anything else.  (I've tried running commands with the display off, such as windows+r, shutdown -r -t 0, enter for a restart.  I've tried closing the lid then reopening it to try to trigger sleep mode.  Etc.)

Is this a known issue?  Is there an actual solution?

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

March 27th, 2019 11:00

I am afraid, we do not have an ETA on this & not sure when the update will be available. If I get an update in a couple of days, I will update on this thread.

16 Posts

March 28th, 2019 08:00

Yes.  I have changed the amount of time the monitor stays on during inactivity.  I have not changed the sleep mode because I don't want this computer to go to sleep.  If it does, I cannot access the media server, remotely.

FWIW, uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it at start up seemed to work temporarily but the problem came back.  Right now, I've changed the power and display settings so the computer does not go to sleep and the monitor does not turn off.  I don't think this is a great option because I worry about screen burn and of course, I only need the monitor on when I'm using it.

In the meantime, I manually put the computer into sleep mode, overnight but when I awoke this morning, it would not wake.

[edit] I wonder if something woke it, during the night....like the dog bumping into the cabinet it rests on, moving the mouse and waking the machine.  If this is the case, it then went to sleep on it's own and cannot come out of sleep mode so, unlike brianms, I don't know if manually putting it to sleep resolves the problem.   Also, if a simple move of the mouse can wake it, even that doesn't seem like a good temporary solution.

16 Posts

April 2nd, 2019 08:00

Any word on a fix?  I really hate to leave my monitor on, 24/7 but when letting it go to sleep means I have to force a shutdown, there's really no better solution....not to mention that I can't gauge whether or not my current tasks are working, which means that forcing a shutdown means losing data or progress.

16 Posts

April 9th, 2019 06:00

Can we get a status update?

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

April 9th, 2019 08:00

I have an update for the system not waking up from sleep when touchpad or keyboard is used.

This feature is working as designed. It has to do with USB Wake Support functionality.

BIOS Setup setting called “USB Wake Support” which enables/disables the ability of a USB device to wake the system from the S3 state.  When enabled, USB devices can wake the system from S3 (example: USB mouse, USB keyboard). 

Furthermore, on AIO systems, the touch screen is a USB input device and also has the capability of waking the system.  When disabled, USB devices cannot wake the system from S3. 

USB Wake Support does not function on battery power; that is, if a portable system on battery power enters S3, USB devices will not be able to wake it up.  Whether the USB devices are externally powered or derive their power from the system’s USB port makes no difference. Upon entering S3, the system will turn off power to the USB ports in order to conserve power.

30 Posts

April 9th, 2019 09:00

The problem I'm experiencing, and the problem most people in this thread are experiencing, has nothing to do with S3, suspend/sleep/standby, or waking the system for suspend/sleep/standby.

The problem is with the display turning off while the system is awake, in S0, before the timeout for suspend/sleep/standby triggers.  For example, if the display is set to turn off after 10 minutes of inactivity, and the system is set to enter suspend/sleep/standby (S3) after 20 minutes of inactivity, the display will turn off after 10 minutes and the system will become unusable unless the user holds the power button to do a hard shutdown.

The keyboard, trackpad, touchscreen, lid open/close switch, and a regular press of the power button cannot make the system turn the display back on.  I've also tried shortcuts for toggling display modes (Windows+P) or settings (the global Intel hotkey for resetting display settings, CTRL+ALT+F8 or something similar).  I've also tried issuing commands (for example, triggering a normal restart via Windows+R, shutdown /r /t 0, Enter).  Nothing works.

Is the issue I'm describing something that Dell is tracking and investigating?

(Further, I have tested all of this with the USB Wake setting enabled in the BIOS and the system plugged in to power.)

16 Posts

April 15th, 2019 19:00

Brianms has this right. 

"The problem is with the display turning off while the system is awake, in S0, before the timeout for suspend/sleep/standby triggers.  For example, if the display is set to turn off after 10 minutes of inactivity, and the system is set to enter suspend/sleep/standby (S3) after 20 minutes of inactivity, the display will turn off after 10 minutes and the system will become unusable unless the user holds the power button to do a hard shutdown."

In my case, I have the system set to NEVER go to standby but no matter how long I set the standby for on the screen, I have to hold the power button until the system reboots. 

My only recourse has been to set the screen to never go into standby and I'm extremely worried about screen burn.  My computer is over a year old and I doubt Dell will do anything to help me if this is the case, even though this is a known problem.  

I only need my screen on for a few minutes at a time and only when I'm working on the computer.  I'd normally set the screen to go into standby after 5 minutes of inactivity.

I'm using the computer as a media server and I require remote access so I cannot allow it to go into standby because there is no way for me to reboot the system, remotely. 

It's imperative that this problem gets fixed.  I can't even use my computer as intended and all along, I'm wasting energy to boot.

2 Posts

April 16th, 2019 15:00

I had this issue recently on the 2018 build. I updated bios, reinstalled windows and spent hours on the phone with a tech. In the end I took it back and got a refund under warranty.

April 18th, 2019 10:00

Ditto what Brianms Said:

"The problem is with the display turning off while the system is awake, in S0, before the timeout for suspend/sleep/standby triggers.  For example, if the display is set to turn off after 10 minutes of inactivity, and the system is set to enter suspend/sleep/standby (S3) after 20 minutes of inactivity, the display will turn off after 10 minutes and the system will become unusable unless the user holds the power button to do a hard shutdown."

This is the exact same problem I'm having.  Updating to the newest BIOS and reinstalling Windows 10 didn't fix it.  Is Dell going to address this, or should I just warranty the machine?

30 Posts

April 18th, 2019 11:00

I'm out of warranty, so I can't do anything but hope Dell acknowledges the issue and fixes it (or pressures Intel to fix it if it's an issue on their end).

If I could, I'd return it for a refund.  It's simply unacceptable for a battery-powered device to need the screen to be on all the time!

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

April 18th, 2019 12:00

I have escalated this issue to the product team.

Please try changing the power plan to a custom one & check if the issue persists.

Have you tried installing an older BIOS maybe 2 version down to check if the issue persists with the older graphics driver.

Disable the discrete card & check if the issue comes up.

If the issue persists, please share the powercfg report.

30 Posts

April 18th, 2019 12:00

I've tried 3 or 4 BIOS versions at this point (including the latest).

I've tried several graphics driver versions at this point (including the latest) - both from Intel directly, and from Dell.

I've tried the Dell, Balanced, and custom power plan configurations.

The laptop does not have a discrete graphics card.  It only has the Intel integrated GPU.

I don't have access to the laptop currently, so I can't send an exact dump of the power plan, but there's nothing out of the ordinary.  Power button is shutdown, lid is sleep, display timeout is never (because of this issue), and sleep is 20 minutes / 30 minutes (battery/AC).  If display timeout is set to the default time (or any custom time), then when the timer is reached, the display times out and the PC is unusable until a shutdown is forced by holding the power button.  This happens on battery and on AC.

16 Posts

April 22nd, 2019 06:00

Chrisg6674

Based on how long this has been going on, you may want to return this or have it repaired under warranty. I would do so if mine wasn't already out of warranty.  Who knows when, or even if, this will be resolved.

I've owned computers since 1988 but this is my first Dell. Based on this experience, it's probably my last.

4 Posts

May 2nd, 2019 04:00

Having the same issue on my Inspiron 7370 with the latest bios update and power updates as well. Noticed the primary cause was the Dell Power Saver plan - which used to turn off the monitor after 5-10 minutes of inactivity which was causing all the issues for me.  I have subsequently switched off currently. I now only put my machine into suspend mode at the end of the day when leaving work for home and pray the next morning the machine awakes from this state without having to hard power down the machine. currently running the latest version of Windows as well, 1809.

I have also now left the machine to run on maximum performance on the power plan be it on battery or a power source as the issue occurs on either if i am using the power saving plan.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 2nd, 2019 14:00

I too am having this same problem on my Inspiron 7370.

Closing the lid turns off the screen and it is impossible to turn it back on without long pressing the power button and restarting. Every other laptop I've ever owned either turns the screen back on once the lid is opened or with a keyboard press/swipe of the touchpad. This is clearly a defect in the 7370 model since so many people are having the same exact problem. Getting a resolution from Dell has been like pulling teeth. I've had multiple reps remote connect to troubleshoot, I've done a clean Windows reinstall, and I even sent in the computer for repair (they sent it back saying it was repaired and it wasn't so I have no idea if they even did anything.)

Now I'm back to trying to get a chat rep to give me a reasonable solution without having to go through everything I've already tried. I swear they deliberately do this to infuriate you and get you to give up.

No Events found!