Highlighted

Re: Inspiron 13 7000 (7370)

I am afraid, we do not have an ETA on this & not sure when the update will be available. If I get an update in a couple of days, I will update on this thread.

Highlighted
NFLMVP
2 Bronze

Any word on a fix?  I really hate to leave my monitor on, 24/7 but when letting it go to sleep means I have to force a shutdown, there's really no better solution....not to mention that I can't gauge whether or not my current tasks are working, which means that forcing a shutdown means losing data or progress.

Highlighted
NFLMVP
2 Bronze

Can we get a status update?

Highlighted

I have an update for the system not waking up from sleep when touchpad or keyboard is used.

This feature is working as designed. It has to do with USB Wake Support functionality.

BIOS Setup setting called “USB Wake Support” which enables/disables the ability of a USB device to wake the system from the S3 state.  When enabled, USB devices can wake the system from S3 (example: USB mouse, USB keyboard). 

Furthermore, on AIO systems, the touch screen is a USB input device and also has the capability of waking the system.  When disabled, USB devices cannot wake the system from S3. 

USB Wake Support does not function on battery power; that is, if a portable system on battery power enters S3, USB devices will not be able to wake it up.  Whether the USB devices are externally powered or derive their power from the system’s USB port makes no difference. Upon entering S3, the system will turn off power to the USB ports in order to conserve power.

brianms
2 Bronze

The problem I'm experiencing, and the problem most people in this thread are experiencing, has nothing to do with S3, suspend/sleep/standby, or waking the system for suspend/sleep/standby.

The problem is with the display turning off while the system is awake, in S0, before the timeout for suspend/sleep/standby triggers.  For example, if the display is set to turn off after 10 minutes of inactivity, and the system is set to enter suspend/sleep/standby (S3) after 20 minutes of inactivity, the display will turn off after 10 minutes and the system will become unusable unless the user holds the power button to do a hard shutdown.

The keyboard, trackpad, touchscreen, lid open/close switch, and a regular press of the power button cannot make the system turn the display back on.  I've also tried shortcuts for toggling display modes (Windows+P) or settings (the global Intel hotkey for resetting display settings, CTRL+ALT+F8 or something similar).  I've also tried issuing commands (for example, triggering a normal restart via Windows+R, shutdown /r /t 0, Enter).  Nothing works.

Is the issue I'm describing something that Dell is tracking and investigating?

(Further, I have tested all of this with the USB Wake setting enabled in the BIOS and the system plugged in to power.)

Highlighted
NFLMVP
2 Bronze

Brianms has this right. 

"The problem is with the display turning off while the system is awake, in S0, before the timeout for suspend/sleep/standby triggers.  For example, if the display is set to turn off after 10 minutes of inactivity, and the system is set to enter suspend/sleep/standby (S3) after 20 minutes of inactivity, the display will turn off after 10 minutes and the system will become unusable unless the user holds the power button to do a hard shutdown."

In my case, I have the system set to NEVER go to standby but no matter how long I set the standby for on the screen, I have to hold the power button until the system reboots. 

My only recourse has been to set the screen to never go into standby and I'm extremely worried about screen burn.  My computer is over a year old and I doubt Dell will do anything to help me if this is the case, even though this is a known problem.  

I only need my screen on for a few minutes at a time and only when I'm working on the computer.  I'd normally set the screen to go into standby after 5 minutes of inactivity.

I'm using the computer as a media server and I require remote access so I cannot allow it to go into standby because there is no way for me to reboot the system, remotely. 

It's imperative that this problem gets fixed.  I can't even use my computer as intended and all along, I'm wasting energy to boot.

Highlighted
NFLMVP
2 Bronze

Yes.  I have changed the amount of time the monitor stays on during inactivity.  I have not changed the sleep mode because I don't want this computer to go to sleep.  If it does, I cannot access the media server, remotely.

FWIW, uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it at start up seemed to work temporarily but the problem came back.  Right now, I've changed the power and display settings so the computer does not go to sleep and the monitor does not turn off.  I don't think this is a great option because I worry about screen burn and of course, I only need the monitor on when I'm using it.

In the meantime, I manually put the computer into sleep mode, overnight but when I awoke this morning, it would not wake.

[edit] I wonder if something woke it, during the night....like the dog bumping into the cabinet it rests on, moving the mouse and waking the machine.  If this is the case, it then went to sleep on it's own and cannot come out of sleep mode so, unlike brianms, I don't know if manually putting it to sleep resolves the problem.   Also, if a simple move of the mouse can wake it, even that doesn't seem like a good temporary solution.

Highlighted
Ychan
1 Copper

Re: Inspiron 13 7000 (7370) Display Won't Wake Up

I also have the same problem for Inspiron 13 7370.
Highlighted

I posted here a couple days ago. The problem I had was when on battery power when restating the keyboard and lights lit up but no display. After forcing several reboots I powered up the laptop using ac adapter. I read a few posts and decided to opened it up to try to reseat the ram and pull both bios battery and the regular battery. The ram is soldered on the motherboard. No luck disconnecting both batteries.. I just happed to have a NVme ssd so I popped in re installed windows 10 and its been working 100% I've done all updates on battery power 30 reboots. The issue I had was mostly on battery and sometimes while plugged.  Good luck all. 

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

I too am having this same problem on my Inspiron 7370.

Closing the lid turns off the screen and it is impossible to turn it back on without long pressing the power button and restarting. Every other laptop I've ever owned either turns the screen back on once the lid is opened or with a keyboard press/swipe of the touchpad. This is clearly a defect in the 7370 model since so many people are having the same exact problem. Getting a resolution from Dell has been like pulling teeth. I've had multiple reps remote connect to troubleshoot, I've done a clean Windows reinstall, and I even sent in the computer for repair (they sent it back saying it was repaired and it wasn't so I have no idea if they even did anything.)

Now I'm back to trying to get a chat rep to give me a reasonable solution without having to go through everything I've already tried. I swear they deliberately do this to infuriate you and get you to give up.