Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

30 Posts

November 15th, 2018 09:00

Inspiron 13-7370, LCD won't wake up

I have an Inspiron 13-7370 running Windows 10 build 1803.

If the display turns off due to the normal power saving setting, it won't turn back on.  I have to hold the power button down to force the machine to turn off, then reboot it.

This doesn't happen if I initiate a sleep or hibernate action (manually, or by closing the lid).  It only happens when the timer to turn off the display is triggered.  I've tried resetting the power plan to the default settings, but it made no difference.  I'm running the latest BIOS/UEFI version, and I'm running the latest graphics drivers from Intel for the i5-8250U (Intel UHD Graphics 620).

This started a couple of months ago.  The only thing I've been able to do is set the display to never turn off.  When the problem occurs, the keyboard LED lights up, but i can't get the display to come back on, and I can't get the system to rexpond to anything else.  (I've tried running commands with the display off, such as windows+r, shutdown -r -t 0, enter for a restart.  I've tried closing the lid then reopening it to try to trigger sleep mode.  Etc.)

Is this a known issue?  Is there an actual solution?

1 Message

May 7th, 2019 23:00

same issue here, I tried every tips you guys provided and I found on the internet.

Still no luck! I'm disappointed that such a commonly used function "wake up from sleep mode" is not working like other brands' laptop

If it is not a hardware defect, I hope you guys can solve it one day

May 8th, 2019 14:00

I returned the Inspiron 13 7370 and got a Inspiron 13 5379 instead.  I'd recommend everyone that can still warranty out their Inspiron 13 7370 to do since Dell seems unwilling or unable to address this problem.  This thread has been going on for 6 months.

16 Posts

May 9th, 2019 05:00

@Chrisg6674

I would return my laptop too, if it was still under warranty. Sorry that your only recourse was to replace it with another Dell. Their lack of response to this known issue is disheartening. I'm considering whether or not to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. It's kind of ridiculous that it should take this long to fix the problem. It clearly isn't a priority for Dell, even though it's a HUGE priority for all of us. Why Dell doesn't care that we are unable to use our laptops, as designed, is a mystery.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 9th, 2019 17:00

Got it fixed, finally.

Dell replaced my motherboard and now my laptop screen turns back on normally after the display off timer activates or after I open the lid. This certainly suggests it was in fact a hardware defect.

I only achieved this resolution after multiple attempts at getting phone support, chat/remote connection support, tweeting the @DellCares twitter account, an unsuccessful mail-in repair, and finally filing a Better Business Bureau complaint. I was contacted by someone from Dell's Advanced Resolution Group who suggested I send it in one final time for mail-in repair, which I did (I literally took a video of my laptop next to two other Windows laptops and demonstrated how the other two worked properly while mine didn't, and put the video in the center of my desktop with a big arrow telling the Dell depot rep to watch it lol.)

If you are still having this issue, it is a hardware defect and you need your motherboard replaced.

1 Message

May 12th, 2019 15:00

I'm just chiming in to add my name/laptop to the chorus of disgruntled Dell users. I got my Inspiron 13 7000 in Nov 2017. Over the past few months, it stopped waking up when sleeping, often coupled with what seems like extraordinary effort from the internal ?fan. I now just do a hard shutdown by pressing on the power button and starting back up from scratch. I do this several times a day. Not a good solution, but something to do while I mull over my next laptop purchase (doesn't look like a Dell). Yes, I have the latest BIOS and tried all the other suggestions offered in this thread. Doesn't seem like Dell is very inspired by this thread.

1 Message

May 14th, 2019 08:00

Even my Inspiron 7370 i7 8h Gen always had the same problem (acquired in November 2017, is now out of warranty). I have tried almost all the suggestions read so far in this thread without any positive result. Recently I also tried to install Ubuntu 18.04 LTE and found the same problem.

30 Posts

May 17th, 2019 12:00

I really wish Dell and/or Intel would actually address this widespread issue.

A laptop not being able to turn the display back on after it times out is ridiculous and pretty disastrous for a battery-powered device.

I can't recommend any Dell devices to anyone because of this.

May 22nd, 2019 15:00

Hi,

I'm having the same issue. BIOS version 1.14.0 has been released already but still does not solve the issue. Any help will be highly appreciated.

16 Posts

May 23rd, 2019 09:00

If you're still under warranty, do not wait to have Dell take care of this. Get it done before the warranty expires. The rest of us appear to be SOL. Dell hasn't done anything to address this up to this point and all we have seen is the run-around, regarding suggestions and a vague promise to escalate this up the chain. One user was able to get his motherboard replaced, under warranty.  Hopefully, you can too. It's really sad that an item as new as this should encounter this kind of issue in the first place but it's even worse that Dell doesn't seem to care, at all.

1 Message

June 18th, 2019 11:00

I just kept rebooting my laptop whenever this happened. If it's a defect from their motherboard does that mean you had to pay for it to get replaced.?

16 Posts

June 25th, 2019 06:00

@wtfito 

If you're under warranty, get it into Dell, ASAP.  Any repairs outside of warranty are at the customer's expense.

Even though Dell has known about this issue since last year, they've done NOTHING to help us.

2 Posts

June 27th, 2019 10:00

I have same problem.

Could someone tell me some information about my warranty?

I bought my laptop from Italy in March 2018, am i under warranty yet? I'm not sure, bat I should have a two year warranty..

Also, i installed another OS (Ubuntu), did i lose warranty?

1 Message

June 30th, 2019 13:00

Do you have any specs on the replacement motherboard.  I have the same issue and am out of warranty and would like to purchase a new motherboard but want to make sure I don't purchase another old/bad one.

8 Posts

July 1st, 2019 14:00

Same issue as others above, laptop refusing to wake from sleep and having to hard reboot several times & using a boot disk to get it back to life.

My 7370 worked fine for the first few months, it was only back end of last year that 'something' changed. I assumed some sort of conflict after possibly a windows or bios update & hoped it would resolve itself in time. Alas no.

If it is a rogue motherboard batch would the problem not have appeared immediately? Also would there not be many more people affected,  obviously I don't know the sales numbers for this model but would the hue & cry over this issue not be bigger? Not meaning to be rude, just trying to get to the bottom of what's wrong with my blasted machine and whether I have grounds to get a refund.

Either way disappointing that Dell aren't addressing it... this is my first Dell machine & it will be the last!

No Events found!