Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

30 Posts

November 15th, 2018 09:00

Inspiron 13-7370, LCD won't wake up

I have an Inspiron 13-7370 running Windows 10 build 1803.

If the display turns off due to the normal power saving setting, it won't turn back on.  I have to hold the power button down to force the machine to turn off, then reboot it.

This doesn't happen if I initiate a sleep or hibernate action (manually, or by closing the lid).  It only happens when the timer to turn off the display is triggered.  I've tried resetting the power plan to the default settings, but it made no difference.  I'm running the latest BIOS/UEFI version, and I'm running the latest graphics drivers from Intel for the i5-8250U (Intel UHD Graphics 620).

This started a couple of months ago.  The only thing I've been able to do is set the display to never turn off.  When the problem occurs, the keyboard LED lights up, but i can't get the display to come back on, and I can't get the system to rexpond to anything else.  (I've tried running commands with the display off, such as windows+r, shutdown -r -t 0, enter for a restart.  I've tried closing the lid then reopening it to try to trigger sleep mode.  Etc.)

Is this a known issue?  Is there an actual solution?

16 Posts

July 3rd, 2019 07:00

Can anyone from Dell tell us what happened?

Has anyone else found the sleep setting working properly all of a sudden?

Out of the blue today, I decided to try this all over again and found that I didn't have to try anything other than change the sleep setting back from NEVER.  Sleep is now working as intended.

I currently have my screen set to sleep after 1 minute of inactivity.  I have awakened the system with both the touch pad and with my mouse, numerous times and at short and long intervals of inactivity.  I have not changed anything else on my system but the Dell updates have been rolling in this whole time so I can only assume Dell fixed the glitch.

Well, at least for me (which makes no sense).  Has anyone else found that the feature is working properly?  @brianms  Dell-SreejithR @HartleyH @MikeHineline @emilio96 @K.LOVELL @Rick1289 @Chrisg6674 @warrennunez @NFLMVP 

• 

16.7K Posts

July 3rd, 2019 08:00

Click my name and private message me the pc service tag number as well as your registered name, email address, and phone number.

16 Posts

@kbj0001Off the top of my head, I'm not certain.  I just know it's the most current....perhaps 1039?

My .02 cents?  I think this has more to do with the Dell updates than the Windows updates but I have know way to know for certain.  As @emilio96 points out, he's not even using Windows but rather, Ubuntu, so that's why I surmise it's a Dell issue and not a Windows issue.

EDIT: @kbj001 Apparently I am dislexic.  My version of Windows 10 is 1903.  I got all the right numbers, just not the right order.

23 Posts

I will investigate this weekend. I've been planning to wipe and reinstall this machine to see if anything has gotten better (I haven't been using it since I cannot trust it). Now that I see there might be some updates, I'll give it a try. Which version of Windows 10 are you currently running?

2 Posts

OMG, it's working! I don't care that it's working.

I state that I have Ubuntu OS installed, but I think it is indifferent.
I want to clarify, that as @NFLMVP wrote, I have the black screen disabled as settings and the system goes into sleep mode after 15 minutes  Last week I updated the bios to the latest version. Nothing else.

My questions are:

Is it simply a coincidence? Was it  just a bug fixable with bios upgrade?

16 Posts

Has anyone else found this feature suddenly working?  I was unable to tag more than 10 people in my previous reply.

@ZorakMantis999 @kbj0001 @Ychan @K.LOVELL @Saaj9 @knaper @michaeljet @pst58 @wtfito 

2 Posts

July 3rd, 2019 09:00

Not for me. After seeing your post I thought i'd give mine a couple of tests.

First, with the laptop unplugged... I set the 'On battery power, Turn screen off' from 'NEVER' to '2 minutes'

Two minutes later my screen turned off, and as before, you can not get it back unless you do a hard reboot.  So that isn't working for me.

Next, I set the 'Turn screen off' back to 'NEVER' and then tried testing the sleep option

'On battery power, PC goes to sleep after' and set that to 2 minutes.  After two minutes, nothing happens at all. No sleep... nothing.  I tried setting it to 5 minutes next.  Five minutes later... Nothing happens.

So the turn screen off option appears to be what is locking my PC up until hard reboot.  While the sleep function (via automatic timer) appears to be completely non-functional. 

My current workaround "solution" for this major issue, is to set the power button to manually put your laptop to sleep.  So in order to use your laptop as a laptop (not plugged in), you have to manually put it to sleep by pushing the power button when you know you're going to walk away from your laptop,  When I return, I push the power button again and it seems to wake up fine.  This is the only thing that has worked for me.

DELL, where you at??!

2 Posts

July 3rd, 2019 10:00

Also, regarding my workaround solution of manually putting your PC to sleep using the power button.  This only appears to work when on battery power.  I just tried putting my PC to sleep while plugged in and I could not bring it back without a hard reboot.  However, when I tried this using battery power, it woke right up to what I was working on when I pressed the power button.

23 Posts

July 3rd, 2019 20:00

This evening, I performed the following on my Inspiron 7000 (model 7370):

- reinstalled Windows 10 Home using a Dell Restore USB stick

- used Windows Update, Dell SupportAssist and the Dell support website to fully patch/update my laptop to Windows 10 version 1809, 17763.557. All Dell drivers including BIOS were up to date. I also booted into the BIOS and selected 'restore BIOS defaults'.

I followed the example config from above:

"First, with the laptop unplugged... I set the 'On battery power, Turn screen off' from 'NEVER' to '2 minutes'
Two minutes later my screen turned off, and as before, you can not get it back unless you do a hard reboot.  So that isn't working for me."

And ... I immediately had the same results. I also went back into the power settings and selected 'restore default settings for this plan' for the Balanced power plan and tried the above again, this time with a 5 minute 'turn screen off' setting (again on battery power). Same result.

So … unless this is somehow fixed in Windows 10 May Update (1903) versus 1809 (that I am running), I am still having the same problem.

July 4th, 2019 01:00

Mine is now working. I called Dell and they sent a rep onsite. They have replaced my motherboard 4 times on different occasions already since another problem sprang up after the sleep problem got fixed. 

8 Posts

July 5th, 2019 13:00

Touch wood but mine working for now(no more Dell updates for me unless forced to by future Windows updates).

Everything updated. Windows 1903 Build 18362. Bios 1.14.0.

What I did have to do is go back and enable USB Wake Support within the BIOS Advanced Power Settings.

Something for you to maybe check again @kbj0001 as it would appear this option defaults to disabled and you mention restoring your bios to default settings?

Not sure what the actual fix was as I also tried another couple things per @RoHe instructions on this older thread which actually relates to a different model https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/XPS-8910-Sleep-Function-Enable-USB-Wake-Support-in-the-BIOS/td-p/5080315/page/2

This disabled some power management settings within device manager and also some hybrid/sleep settings within the Dell Power Plan. Not sure if necessary in the end? I suspect the 'fix' was latest Bios / Windows 1903 compatibility.

It's working so I'm not changing anything back! Good luck anyone else still having issues.

(Note updating to Windows 1903 is not without it's own challenges - disabled my headphone jack and broke MaxxAudio...)

23 Posts

July 6th, 2019 07:00

Thanks for the reply @HartleyH . I went back and enabled the USB Wake setting in the BIOS last night, which didn't appear to help. I am now downloading the May Windows 10 Update (1903) to see if that makes any difference.

8 Posts

July 7th, 2019 08:00

Ignore my post above because that did not last long.

Just had to force close down over 20 times (no exaggeration, it just did the whole whirling fans and dead act and wouldn't even boot up from recovery USB) before I could get this to reboot because I had the temerity to close the lid. Yesterday it woke several times with no issue when I used the laptop like a laptop ie closed the lid.

I've changed nada since then.

Majorly hacked off!

• 

16.7K Posts

July 8th, 2019 06:00

Click my name and private message me the pc service tag number.

23 Posts

July 9th, 2019 19:00

Same thing, @HartleyH 

Over the weekend I upgraded to 1903 (Windows 10 May Update). I also booted into the BIOS to verify that C states were disabled and USB Wake Support was enabled.

Tonight, twice now the screen has gone black as configured in the Power Settings (Turn off screen after … ) and when I hit a key on the keyboard or swipe the touchpad, nothing happens. Just like before.

I extended my warranty for another year back in February … at what point do I call Warranty Support to see how best to handle this? I'm not sure what else I should be doing at this point.

No Events found!