Highlighted
andytrf
1 Copper

Re: Inspiron 13-7370, LCD won't wake up

@kbj0001 

I've got this issue too.  Thanks to your post on another thread ‎(dated 02-21-2019 05:50 AM) I've managed to work around the issue by setting the Windows power setting "Screen: turn off after" to "Never", which has saved me so much hassle.  Thank you!

I see from this current thread that the issue hasn't been resolved though.

I've tried using both the Windows Update supplied 2018 driver for Intel UHD 620, plus the latest 2019 driver from Intel download centre, but the problem persists.

Highlighted
kbj0001
1 Copper

Same. I keep getting recommendations to update BIOS (which I was already up to date with), enable/disable two different values in the BIOS, run Windows Update, run SupportAssist, reset power states, etc. I always keep my machines patched and up to date so none of this made any difference for me.

At the end of the day, on my Inspiron 7370, if I enable any setting other than 'Never' under 'Turn screen off after', more often than not my machine will turn off the screen and then enter a non-responsive state that requires the machine to be hard rebooted, thus losing any state of anything I had open and not saved. This is not the way a core i7/16GB/512GB laptop in 2019 should work. 

Highlighted
HartleyH
1 Copper

Update:

My 7370 was returned to Dell who replaced the motherboard - ie basically confirming IT IS a hardware issue. BUT I still had the exact same issue after the swap out, despite paperwork saying it was tested and was working...

Long story cut short, I now have a new updated replacement model (7370 no longer in stock) with a 2 year guarantee (plus some cash back for hassle because I bought through a 3rd party company with excellent service). I realise I am fortunate. 

Big thanks to those posters who maintained this was a hardware issue, it pushed me to get it looked at rather than persevering with trying to change various settings and trying to identify potential conflicts.

For those still having issues - IF YOU ARE UNDER WARRANTY, GET IN TOUCH WITH DELL ASAP. (If you bought via a 3rd party I'd contact them in the first instance dependant on how the sale of goods contract works in your country).

If no recourse - set laptop screen & power to never sleep within power options and never close the lid unintentionally ie without fully shutting down first.

(Trust me I know what a pain this issue is. I would rather have had the old machine working with no hassle than a new updated one and the cash back).

VivienM7
1 Copper

I'm having the same issue with a 3780. Laptop worked fine for the first week or two, then it developed this issue... 

Highlighted
gillyboat
1 Copper

I finally have a solid answer from Dell on this.  This is how the laptop is designed to operate.  It is a power-saving feature, I'm told.

I called in with this problem after reinstalling windows a couple of times myself.  Eventually they had me send the laptop in for repair.  I got it back a few weeks later with a note saying that they had reinstalled windows, and the hardware testing fine.  After some angry fist-shaking to the sky, I tried it out.  Same problem.

I called back into support.  Eventually they directed me into the BIOS and had me go to Power Managerment->USB Wake Support, then check the box for Enable USB Wake Support.

Once I was back into Windows, I found that as long as I had any kind of a USB device plugged in before the laptop's screen turned off, it would come right back on as soon as I touched the keyboard or track pad.  If no USB device was plugged in when the display turned off, there was no way to wake it without rebooting.

They told me this is a power-saving feature.  The best I could gather was that when the display turns off, it cuts all power to USB ports, including the internal USB ports that they keyboard and mouse are plugged into.  This has to be the dumbest idea that I've ever heard in my life.

Highlighted
HartleyH
1 Copper

^^ With all due respect that's <profanity>.

Highlighted
HartleyH
1 Copper

B & S together is profanity? You obviously moniter these boards very carefully, if only Dell put more care into solving these hardware issues. This forum is full of people having the same issues.

I'll change my 'profanity' to laughable - the explantation provided above is laughable.

I like many others initially had a perfectly working machine, irrespective of what the bios setting was for USB wake support. I now have a fully funtioning new machine even though the USB wake support is unchecked. The 'explanation' being provided is laughable.

Highlighted
jmsfll
1 Copper

After reading all 9 pages I have summarized the following:

*  The technology that the current graphics driver for the Intel UHD 620 is not compatible with the Dell BIOS chip.  (This driver has an October date by Dell and a June or July date of 2019 by Intel) 

1. Workaround 1 I believe is to have the pc sleep prior to display turning off 
  2. Workaround 2 is to rollback to an older driver.   Note that Dell driver dates are later than Intel's, so the April 27, 2018 is actually an Intel date of February 2018.   The version is 23.20.16.4973.   I have not tested this but earlier threads on the last few pages support this.   Did not realize @kbj0001 there was a newer one.  I think you meant you installed on 6/12/2020?  Curious if you have had any issues since.
  3. Workaround 3 is to have the bios chip replaced or entire motherboard (assuming this works if the new bios chip is compatible with the newest graphics driver.  Unfortunately I never contacted Dell during warranty period and I got screwed putting this on my Discover card because they ended the extended warranty benefit a month before my purchase (which I was unaware of)

My power button now is set to hibernate.   So if the problem reoccurs and I press the power button I am hoping the computer wakes from hibernate as normal and I do not lose anything.  I am also now on older driver so will see if problem reoccurs, hopefully it will not.

I believe version of BIOS is irrelevant - BIOS updates do not fix this but you should update to newest BIOS anyway - I think as of time of this post it is 1.15.0

Highlighted
kbj0001
1 Copper

Good catch. I'm running the driver with a Driver Date of 6/12/2018, which I force installed on 1/12/2020.

Since then, I removed that driver and allowed Windows/Dell to determine/install which driver the system wanted me to run (newest version) and immediately, the system started exhibiting the 'screen off' issue.

So at this point, it seems that if you can force install the older driver and keep that one in place, the system might not lock up as it had been doing.

Highlighted
abinkley
1 Copper

This is an issue that I have been having for over a year on my Inspiron 13 7370. No matter what OS I use, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, ANY Linux distribution and yes, even Mac OS Mojave (it's possible, believe me), this problem persists between ALL Operating Systems installed on this machine.

Is it a BIOS issue? Is it an Inter driver issue? I have no idea.

I manage 20 of these machines in our school, all purchased in brand new in a lot and used as staff machines. I love these great little machines, but if it isn't the FRAGILE USB-C port, the sometimes lightly applied CPU compound causing the machine to overheat and burn the fans out, it is THIS screen issue.

Holding down the power is fine and all, and yes, it will reboot my machine, but what if I have a really long download going or a critical file transfer and I simply cannot plug in my laptop and keep the screen active? Oh yeah, then my transfers and downloads fail.

Please fix this issue, or at least own up to the fact that something is wrong.

Just so everyone knows, after the issues with these purchases, we in our IT department at the school opted to purchase HP laptops from our vendor rather than Dells.