Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

30 Posts

November 15th, 2018 09:00

Inspiron 13-7370, LCD won't wake up

I have an Inspiron 13-7370 running Windows 10 build 1803.

If the display turns off due to the normal power saving setting, it won't turn back on.  I have to hold the power button down to force the machine to turn off, then reboot it.

This doesn't happen if I initiate a sleep or hibernate action (manually, or by closing the lid).  It only happens when the timer to turn off the display is triggered.  I've tried resetting the power plan to the default settings, but it made no difference.  I'm running the latest BIOS/UEFI version, and I'm running the latest graphics drivers from Intel for the i5-8250U (Intel UHD Graphics 620).

This started a couple of months ago.  The only thing I've been able to do is set the display to never turn off.  When the problem occurs, the keyboard LED lights up, but i can't get the display to come back on, and I can't get the system to rexpond to anything else.  (I've tried running commands with the display off, such as windows+r, shutdown -r -t 0, enter for a restart.  I've tried closing the lid then reopening it to try to trigger sleep mode.  Etc.)

Is this a known issue?  Is there an actual solution?

23 Posts

December 30th, 2019 06:00

So ... still no resolution to this issue? I first posted on this thread back in February of 2019. I started this machine up last night and updated everything to see if it had gotten better (it had been offline for a month). Ran fine for the evening, but when I woke up this morning it was the same old story - fan running, keyboard back-light lit and screen black. The only way to resolve was to hard reboot. 

I have 1 month left on my extended warranty and was hoping this would finally get resolved so that I could reliably start using this machine again - is it worth opening a ticket with support? It appears above that even a motherboard replacement might not help.

2 Posts

December 30th, 2019 06:00

On the one I complained about, eventually I complained enough and got a motherboard replacement, and the issue was resolved.

4 Posts

December 30th, 2019 08:00

So for me, the motherboard and fan replacement was a short-term issue.  It worked fine for around 2 -3 months after the replacement, and now its back to square one.  I have another called logged with them for the exact same issue.  

I am now shutting down the machine on a daily basis to avoid this issue, as its just annoying and frustrating - I am hoping that Dell will sort out the issue as it is a recurrence of what they had resolved without having to do the troubleshooting again which was a 1 hour session the first time.  My Warranty expires in February 2020, so need to get this resolved before then.

Its just sad to note that we moved away from another brand of laptops that was very problematic to Dell, only to end up having similar sort of issues.  To me it seems that the machine seems to overheat a lot and over time that causes the problem experienced when heading into suspend mode.

December 31st, 2019 00:00

If your inspiron has Intel UHD Graphics 620, try uninstalling the display driver, and re-install this specific version:  https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=GG5FR

I found that only that specific driver version fixed the issue for my Inspiron.  Latest drivers from Intel didn't work. 

FYI this issue seems to affect multiple Dell laptops, not just Inspiron 13.  Mine is an Inspiron 14.  Dell Latitude laptops also had the same issue

23 Posts

January 1st, 2020 07:00

I captured a bunch of evidence of this issue last night. Video and screen shots of versions here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Q5mVtC8myWBtyPmu5

In the video, the machine is set to turn off the screen at 2 minutes and go to sleep at 3 minutes. I also have a screen saver enabled.

• At :58, the screen saver comes on
  • At 1:54, the screen saver turns off. the screen is off and the power button is still glowing white.
  • At 3:18 i attempt to wake the machine, and as you can see the screen never comes back on.

In the rest of the screen shots you can see:

• Power & Sleep settings
  • Power Plan
  • Screen Saver settings
  • Windows OS version
  • Windows Update status
  • Dell Update status
  • BIOS version
  • Graphics driver version

I'm not sure what else I can capture at this point, but right now it very often will end up in this unresponsive state.

23 Posts

January 12th, 2020 13:00

Just force installed this older driver - I'll give this a shot and report back.

• 

25K Posts

January 12th, 2020 17:00

Hi,

Please ignore the previous message.

I need couple more details before I forward  this to our internal team.
Please let me know.
> Are you trying to Wake up the system from Sleep using the Keyboard or Power button or just by opening the Lid?
> Please try loading the Power plan settings to default once and check if that helps. To do so, please go to start, search for Power settings, once you have the power options, click on the aditional power settings, click on change plan, select restore default settings for this plan. Save the changes and try to check for the issue.
> Meanwhile, please let me know which is the older driver that you are trying to force install it?
Do check for the issue after the driver installation.

272 Posts

January 16th, 2020 07:00

I use Inspiron 13 7000 as well. And I've had the same issue of the display not turning on after it turns off automatically.

Is there a solution to this problem.

4 Posts

January 16th, 2020 07:00

So, my machine is now scheduled for its 2nd System Board, cooling fans and now for the first time, heatsink replacement next week some time.

And hows this for advice...to prevent the issue from occurring again, dont put the machine in sleep mode, shut it down when not in use.  Really?

3 Posts

January 17th, 2020 16:00

Looks like this is still an issue going into 2020.

I am helping a poor friend who struggled constantly with her laptop for the last two years, having to force power off and on all the time.

Any solid solutions for this yet? Or is a motherboard replacement required?

23 Posts

January 18th, 2020 10:00

I installed the older driver referenced above (24.20.100.6170, dated 6/18/2018) on 1/12/2018 and in the last 6 days this machine has not exhibited the 'black screen behavior' once. Interestingly, I have also noted that when the machine turns off the screen (turn off the screen after x min), it will first flash up the windows 10 lock screen, which the newer driver does not seem to do (once it turns off the screen, you see nothing else and then it never comes back).

I plan to uninstall this older driver and let Windows/Dell install the latest recommend driver today and verify that the newer driver exhibits the black screen issue we have all been struggling with.

13 Posts

January 19th, 2020 19:00

After reading all 9 pages I have summarized the following:

*  The technology that the current graphics driver for the Intel UHD 620 is not compatible with the Dell BIOS chip.  (This driver has an October date by Dell and a June or July date of 2019 by Intel) 

1. Workaround 1 I believe is to have the pc sleep prior to display turning off 
  2. Workaround 2 is to rollback to an older driver.   Note that Dell driver dates are later than Intel's, so the April 27, 2018 is actually an Intel date of February 2018.   The version is 23.20.16.4973.   I have not tested this but earlier threads on the last few pages support this.   Did not realize @kbj0001 there was a newer one.  I think you meant you installed on 6/12/2020?  Curious if you have had any issues since.
  3. Workaround 3 is to have the bios chip replaced or entire motherboard (assuming this works if the new bios chip is compatible with the newest graphics driver.  Unfortunately I never contacted Dell during warranty period and I got screwed putting this on my Discover card because they ended the extended warranty benefit a month before my purchase (which I was unaware of)

My power button now is set to hibernate.   So if the problem reoccurs and I press the power button I am hoping the computer wakes from hibernate as normal and I do not lose anything.  I am also now on older driver so will see if problem reoccurs, hopefully it will not.

I believe version of BIOS is irrelevant - BIOS updates do not fix this but you should update to newest BIOS anyway - I think as of time of this post it is 1.15.0

23 Posts

January 20th, 2020 12:00

Good catch. I'm running the driver with a Driver Date of 6/12/2018, which I force installed on 1/12/2020.

Since then, I removed that driver and allowed Windows/Dell to determine/install which driver the system wanted me to run (newest version) and immediately, the system started exhibiting the 'screen off' issue.

So at this point, it seems that if you can force install the older driver and keep that one in place, the system might not lock up as it had been doing.

1 Message

January 23rd, 2020 14:00

This is an issue that I have been having for over a year on my Inspiron 13 7370. No matter what OS I use, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, ANY Linux distribution and yes, even Mac OS Mojave (it's possible, believe me), this problem persists between ALL Operating Systems installed on this machine.

Is it a BIOS issue? Is it an Inter driver issue? I have no idea.

I manage 20 of these machines in our school, all purchased in brand new in a lot and used as staff machines. I love these great little machines, but if it isn't the FRAGILE USB-C port, the sometimes lightly applied CPU compound causing the machine to overheat and burn the fans out, it is THIS screen issue.

Holding down the power is fine and all, and yes, it will reboot my machine, but what if I have a really long download going or a critical file transfer and I simply cannot plug in my laptop and keep the screen active? Oh yeah, then my transfers and downloads fail.

Please fix this issue, or at least own up to the fact that something is wrong.

Just so everyone knows, after the issues with these purchases, we in our IT department at the school opted to purchase HP laptops from our vendor rather than Dells.

No Events found!