Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 3rd, 2020 18:00

Inspiron 13 7378 2-in-1 and Active Pen PN579X

Hello, I recently was interested in whether my Inspirion 13 7378 was compatible with any type of pen so I decided to input my laptop's Service Tag into Dell's parts and upgrades page. The parts and accessories page with my Service Tag from my laptop suggested the PN579X pen. I was a little skeptical since I've never bought any active pens but felt relieved that the item was linked to my laptop's Service Tag/model so I purchased the pen. The pen came, I was able to insert the battery and connect the pen through Bluetooth without any issues but the pen doesn't draw. After doing a bit of research, I discovered that the pen had to be set to MPP instead of AES2. I disconnected the pen, reconnected via Bluetooth and made sure that the pen was operating on MPP but, still no luck. The button combinations on the pen work without any problem but the drawing functionality does nothing (finger touch still works with no problems). I also updated the pen's firmware, checked all windows updates (the only thing available is the windows feature update 2004) and verified that all the drivers on the laptop are up to date through Dell Update and the Dell's drivers webpage. I really hope the pen is compatible with my laptop specially because the part is linked with my Service Tag/model. Any suggestions? Thank you.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

July 4th, 2020 03:00

Does the system have an "active pen compatible" sticker on the palmrest?  These were offered both with and without digitizing screens.  It sounds like yours is the latter.

July 4th, 2020 08:00

Hi ejn63, thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I can’t say for sure since I bought this computer used which if the previous owner is like me, they take off all the stickers after some time. I do completely agree with you that with my luck, I ended up with one without the digitized screen but it amazes me that Dell sees both models exactly the same. I don’t understand why Dell couldn’t rename the Inspiron 13 7378 2 in 1 with a digitized screen to Inspiron 14 7378D 2 in 1 (Or something else among those lines) to eliminate any confusion between the two models and searching for compatible accessories through the service tag. At any rate, I think the problem has been solved. Thank you for your help. Stay safe.

July 4th, 2020 08:00

Also I meant to say Inspiron 13 7378D not but Inspiron 14 7378

No Events found!