Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

1 Message

May 5th, 2018 06:00

Inspiron 14 7460 Power Issues

My laptop is the Inspiron 14 7460 model, I purchased it in September 2017 so it hasn't even been a year but I've faced the same problem multiple times. The laptop won't turn on, even after charging for hours.

I've tried the basic suggestions given on troubleshooting posts; drain residual power for by keeping power button pressed for 20-30 seconds and then pressing the power button, charging overnight to see if its just a battery issue, pressing Fn+F12 for diagnostics -  nothing ever works until I call a Dell technician as I have 3 year warranty.

This power issue has happened twice now, in the past 4 months. I will describe both below:

February 24, 2018:

Problem description: laptop not powering on, when connected to charger LED on the bottom of the laptop indicating power flashes once but then turns off and stays off despite still being connected to charger. LED light for power button also does not light up upon button being pressed. Tips found on Dell forum didn't work, pressing Fn+F12 also does not bring up diagnostics information. 

Solution by technician: Motherboard replaced, power issue resolved (temporarily)

April 13, 2018:

Problem description: Exact same problem as last time 

Solution by technician: Motherboard replaced (AGAIN) and an "additional" SSD storage that was not of Dell manufacturing (third-party 4GB RAM) removed. Brand of SSD: ADATA.

To elaborate, I ordered my laptop through an external company by the name of "Helix" that offered Dell at discount to students and let me customize the storage to fit my needs. This laptop scheme was temporary and now the company's local Hong Kong center's phone and email hotlines have been shut down; I receive no answer. THERE ARE NO OTHER THIRD-PARTY COMPONENTS IN THE LAPTOP, and it's still a Dell laptop, under Dell warranty.

Additionally - the technician suggested I reinstall Windows 10 because my fan noise is very loud and the GPU use is a high % (displayed in task manager) but as I'm a busy student I didn't get around to it. 

Today - May 5, 2018:

Problem description: Almost the exact same problem, except this time when I plug the charger in, the LED light at the base of the laptop remained on for several hours, until now it has shut off. Several hours before, when I removed the charger, the light would shut off, when I plugged it back in, the light would turn on once, then shut off for approx 1 second, then turn on and remain on. The LED under the power button however, stayed off and never turned on when pressed. It's clearly not a charging issue, as the green LED on my charger is on.

None of the solutions I have seen in discussions seem to work, I hope that someone can suggest another solution I may not have found. I have tried to be as detailed as possible. The Dell customer service hotline in my country is not available on weekends thus I will have to wait until Monday to request help.

I am worried because the time between the problem occurring is decreasing, where earlier it was 2 months, now less than a month before it happened again. It's a relatively new laptop and I'm quite disappointed as I've got a lot of work to do before my finals - REALLY HOPE SOMEONE CAN OFFER A SOLUTION THAT WORKS.

14 Posts

May 5th, 2018 08:00

hi   my  name   is Sandy,  to   the gentlemen  inquiry   about  his   computer's   power issues   i  too  been   having  the  same  issues  with  my  laptop   its about 5 or 6   yrs  old   only  had   it looked out twice  it was running slow as usual i   didnt  mind  that    as  long  as  it  was   working    i  shut  it down  for the night   thinking  it needed   charging    i did    the exact  thing  left  it  to charge  over night   it  worked for   an  hour  then  i    shut  it  down again   completely  until  i  was  set to   used  the computer   this  morning   but   nothing   work   it   one   of  those   moments   when  you  throw  up   your hands and say "why me"? i did everything   Help me!

sandy  lovejoy

14 Posts

May 5th, 2018 08:00

hi   my  name   is Sandy,  to   the gentlemen  inquiry   about  his   computer's   power issues   i  too  been   having  the  same  issues  with  my  laptop   its about 5 or 6   yrs  old   only  had   it looked out twice  it was running slow as usual i   didnt  mind  that    as  long  as  it  was   working    i  shut  it down  for the night   thinking  it needed   charging    i did    the exact  thing  left  it  to charge  over night   it  worked for   an  hour  then  i    shut  it  down again   completely  until  i  was  set to   used  the computer   this  morning   but   nothing   work   it   one   of  those   moments   when  you  throw  up   your hands and say "why me"? i did everything   Help me!

December 4th, 2018 04:00

I am having the exact same issue on a Dell Inspiron 7460, have you encountered any solution?

1 Message

April 6th, 2019 00:00

SAME SAME PROBLEMS. I had mine within a year and had the power/USB part replaced three times and the motherboard once. My warranty expired January, but the parts were last replaced only in December. I've received nothing but **bleep** from all the official tech centers of Dell. Had it repaired with a 3rd party service and they had it up and running immediately for only $67. DELL WAS OFFERING ME TO REPLACE THE MOTHERBOARD FOR $1,200. TWICE THE EFFIN' AMOUNT OF THE LAPTOP. I HATE THIS DELL.

After two months, the same problem recurred. Have I said that I HATE DELL? NEVER WILL BUY THIS BRAND AGAIN. WILL DISCOURAGE EVERYONE I KNOW TOO.

2 Posts

June 20th, 2020 09:00

Spoiler

Hey, the same thing happened to my Dell Inspiron 14 7640. What the technician did is he fixed the power button. I thought it was the battery/motherboard but it was just the SWITCH BUTTON. It's probably the reason why the power button does not light up. Please try this. I hope it works. 

September 4th, 2020 06:00

I am having the same issue. Already replaced mother board twice as suggested by dell support. 

Crazy and sad. I always used Dell for office the latitude range. 

Inspiron 14 7460 

No Events found!