Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

26 Posts

February 1st, 2019 12:00

Inspiron 15-3???, determine if sleeping or powered off

Inspiron 15 3000

Celeron N3060 processor

Sometimes I want to confirm that my computer is shut down and if not, I would shut it down.

I am not seeing a way to determine if the computer is off or whether it's sleeping/ hibernating/ whatever.  Besides, of course, pressing the power button, but then it could potentially turn on when I didn't need it to.

February 1st, 2019 13:00

if you click the touch pad (or mouse) and it is asleep it will turn on this will not happen if it is powered off

February 8th, 2019 23:00

That has not been my experience.  The computer might some how be set to only wake up when I press the power button.  Admittedly, the touch pad seems to be low quality and/or partially broken.  Many times I click or double tap on it and it does not provide the expected input to the operating system.  So, you are probably right but I am not able to reproduce on my end.

February 9th, 2019 10:00

there should also be a light on the front of the pc that will show if it is sleeping.

so if the light is turned on it is sleeping. also I recommend just going to amazon buying a 10$

-15$ wireless mouse and some rechargeable batteries it makes it a lot more easy to use  

February 11th, 2019 19:00

I would think the pressing any key on the keyboard should also wake up the computer.  But, this is not the case as I have certainly pressed buttons in the keyboard when the computer is sleeping and that did not wake up the computer.  Only pressing the power button wake up the computer.  

I was reading some Ubuntu help information and it touches on the idea that this is a driver problem.  So, right now, I am basically convinced of that.  However, I am not sure what driver that is (I guess a motherboard driver or the UEFI?)

15 Posts

March 9th, 2019 13:00

There should be a light but, is there a light?  I don't see one.  I can't tell if the laptop is asleep or off.

Thanks,

Terry

January 5th, 2021 06:00

I am an Inspiron user, what worked for me was " Closed the lid of the laptop and opened it again. The laptop would turn on if it was in sleep mode else it wouldn't " simple. It's not any final solution but it worked. Double tapping on the touchpad and pressing a key on the keyboard didn't work for me too.

No Events found!