Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 8th, 2021 16:00

Inspiron 15 3000 series docking station D6000

I am curious if and how I can get the D6000 docking station to connect to my Inspiron 15" 30000 series laptop. The power cord for the laptop is different from the docking station and the laptop is not recognizing the docking station using the USB adapter. 

thank you for your assistance

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

January 8th, 2021 17:00

@jklEMONS58  The D6000 is designed to be powered by a Dell 130W adapter that uses its standard 7.4mm barrel connector, not the 4.5mm slim tip connector or a USB-C connector. The dock comes with that adapter, or at least it does when purchased brand new from Dell or a proper reseller. If you bought it through some other means, Dell 130W AC adapters with 7.4mm barrels are pretty easy and cheap to find online since Dell has been making them for over a decade now.

In terms of the system, are you connecting via USB-C or USB-A? I don’t know your exact system model since you said you have an Inspiron 15 3000 Series, but that designation applies to a whole series of models introduced over the last few years. Your exact model would be something like Inspiron 3578 or similar. Anyhow, if you plug in via USB-A, the dock will not be able to charge your system since USB-A doesn’t support that. And even with USB-C, system charging support is optional and therefore not all systems with USB-C ports support being charged through that port.

But if the dock isn’t working at all, then make sure you have the latest DisplayLink software installed from DisplayLink.com. You need that software to run the D6000 due to how it works. And maybe update the D6000 firmware. You can find that update on support.Dell.com.

January 8th, 2021 17:00

thank you for your response. I did purchase the docking station new in the box and am using the supplied power cable and have the USB-C plugged into the USB-A converter, also supplied, however the laptop is not powered but the USB-C and has a different connection. 

Not sure how to locate the service tag on the docking station, here is what I have found;

I believe the laptop is a series 3593

I have downloaded the driver and the the firmware update. The error occurred when I tried to run the firmware update, in the updater A03, I received and error that the D6000 was not detected. i have tried each of the three USB drives but it is not registering in any location. 

thank you,

JKL

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

January 8th, 2021 18:00

@jklEMONS58  Ok, that changes things. And as a general piece of advice, if you report that a device is completely non-functional when connected to one system but you’ve also validated that it works fine with another system, that latter data point is worth mentioning upfront since it can save a lot of time going down the wrong path on troubleshooting. In that case I suppose the included USB-C to USB-A adapter on the end of the dock cable could be the problem.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@jklEMONS58  Ok, if you’re using a USB-A port on your system for the dock, then yoI’ll need to use the dock power supply for the dock and still keep your system’s power supply directly connected to the system. In that case the difference in connector types won’t matter, but both devices will need directly connected power.

You don’t need to post the dock Service Tag, and in fact you're specifically supposed to avoid posting Service Tags on this forum since that can allow others to create hassles for the legitimate owners.

The fact that the firmware update is failing definitely isn’t a good sign. If you’ve already confirmed that the D6000 is receiving power from its correct power adapter, then between the firmware update not detecting the dock and the dock not working in general, you might simply have a defective dock.

I am able to use the dock on different Dell Laptop that I have without issue using the USB-C connection, I have issue getting the Inspiron to recognize the Dock.

If i were a more skilled user I could explain better but I dont know what else to do?

January 9th, 2021 01:00

Dell Universal Dock D6000 works with DisplayLink technology that enables docking features over USB. The universal docking solution enables multiple displays, audio, ethernet and other USB peripherals to be connected to PCs through USB.

No Events found!