Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

18 Posts

May 6th, 2020 10:00

Inspiron 15 3567: does not boot, c:\users gone!

Hello,

I've got the above-mentioned problem on an out-of-warranty inspiron 15 3567, running windows home. Some details:

* system tries to repair the boot procedure and fails

* dell diagnostics (UEFI) show no issues on the 1tb hdd

* I've taken the hdd apart in order to try and get the user's data back. On the system I connected the disk it showed that the disk was bitlocker-protected. Which is a strange thing considering this is a Home edition of Windows, however I've read this https://www.dell.com/support/article/el-gr/sln299056/automatic-windows-device-encryption-bitlocker-on-dell-systems?lang=en

* I've re-installed the hdd back to its original position. Using a command prompt from recovery console I can see the C: drive this time, but no users folder!

I've issued a manage-bde -protectors -disable C: command (found that somewhere in the forums here) but nothing happened

I'm inclined to use a manage-bde -stop c: but I'm afraid I might do some damage. Please advise fellas

18 Posts

May 6th, 2020 21:00

I went ahead and did this manage-bde -stop c: command after all and used manage-bde -status to monitor progress. It worked, decrypting files for some hours. But still, no c:\users directory at all to be found At least I was able to boot from some Windows PE UEFI boot sticks and ran Recuva in the slim chance I'll recover some of the user's files.

No Events found!