Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 2nd, 2018 21:00

Inspiron 15 5000 series not charging with correct Dell charger

Inspiron 15 5000 not charging
I have a Dell charger that Dell recomended for this laptop, updated BIOS, made sure everything is plugged in a million times, there is no damage to the cord, indicator light is on for the adapter, it is plugged all the way in, but yet the charging indicator light on the laptop will not stay on for more than about 2 seconds before turning off again. I have even went as far as to buy a second $60 cord which worked for about a week before my laptop stopped recognizing it, and it says 'Plugged in, not charging'. I have gotten it to charge on a few occasions by fiddling with the cord for an hour before it decides to randomly start charging ( and no, the spot where the computer starts to charge is never the same). At this point I am starting to give up on the laptop because all Dell has seemed to tell me when I have contacted them is that it is my fault and from what I have read other customers are having the same experience. When I look at the chargin port in the computer, it looks a little weird (part of the main plastic thing inside the port seems to be off but I don't know if it is supposed to be like that and it was like that when I got it). I am probably not going to buy from Dell again if they continue to ignore the problem of thousands of customers and say that it is the customer's fault when they have done nothing wrong.

2 Posts

June 22nd, 2020 17:00

SOLVED  I tried all of the suggested ways of making the adapter charge. The following worked for me. I went into BIOS (F2 key on bootup this is an inspiron laptop). Went to the advanced settings. The adapter setting said UNKOWN. I unplugged the adapter from the wall outlet. The adapter setting now said NONE. I then plugged the adapter back into the wall outlet and now the adapter setting said 45 WATTS.

10 Elder

• 

23K Posts

May 3rd, 2018 03:00

Replace the DC jack in the system - that will almost certainly solve the problem.

2 Posts

July 8th, 2018 13:00

I turned off my pc. unplugged charger. Removed battery . Held on/off button for 30 seconds. then plugged it back in. Put battery back in and restarted and now it is charging again. I have tried everything else but this worked for me.

2 Posts

August 25th, 2018 07:00

battery is not outside and removable on these models. you need to dismantle bottom of the laptop to get to the battery.

i dismantled the laptop removed the battery waited for good half an hour and put everything back and still not charging.

2 Posts

August 25th, 2018 07:00

how do you Replace the DC jack in the system ?

1 Message

May 7th, 2020 00:00

I know this is an old message but I've been having this issue now so i came across it. I too, am thinking of never buying from Dell again. I used to swear by them and tell all my friends, family, and business acquaintances that there devices are the most reliable and customer service is best. It seems this has changed for years now. What a shame. As for all the suggestions below, there is no reason that one should have to take apart his (relatively new in my case) computer to get it to function as it should. Especially such a vital and basic function as charging. Major disappointment from Dell. @Jdkicked @cu1907 @mopar43 @ejn63 

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

May 7th, 2020 05:00

We understand the inconvenience caused and we will try our best to resolve the issue.

We appreciate you for trying the troubleshooting steps.

It seems that the issue is related to the power adapter or may be power setting got corrupted.

As an initial step, I suggest you to trying using a different power adapter and check if it helps

If the issue persists try the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: Run Hardware and device troubleshooter.

Follow the below steps:

a. Type “Troubleshooting” without quotes in the Search box and hit enter.

b. Select “Hardware and Sound” from the Troubleshooter Window.

c. Select “Hardware and Devices” under Devices option.

d. Follow the On Screen instructions.

Method 2: Run Power Troubleshooter.

Follow the below steps:

1) Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select Control Panel.
2) Type Troubleshooting in the search bar on the Control Panel.
3) Click on View all on the left navigation pane. Click on Power.
4) Click on Advanced on the power troubleshooter dialog box and click on Run as administrator (Enter the credentials if required). 

5) Click on Next and follow onscreen instruction complete the Power troubleshooter.  

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

1 Message

May 18th, 2020 11:00

Idid have the some problem but I’m find the problem I’m connect the power supply on power jack without the back cover and I m look at the windows and show me is charger what I did put back the back cover and stop to charger, I’m figure out the power plug did not go thru the end I’m get scissors and open more the hole to can connect the power plug to the end. Is done work very well no more problem

call me if your guys have another question about this 

1 Message

June 23rd, 2020 15:00

Solved just go to bios setting in the start menu press"F2" and then go to the AC adapter and turn it off ......you welcome 

1 Message

October 1st, 2020 22:00

SOLVED.

So replacing the inner battery didn't solve the issue.

What finally solved the issue was tilting the inner pin inside the charger (the end that connects into the laptop) from 0 degrees (straight up) to about 5 degrees.

And  finally - no more alerts about the wrong watts, and it always charges correctly.

1 Message

December 6th, 2020 00:00

Exactly the same experience here.

We had this laptop for the kid’s online school. It started to have the AC problem randomly after six months. Finally I bought a genuine AC adapter for the replacement. It worked for one day then it only charges for 3 seconds each time. My kid couldn’t take his class since we never thought that we need a backup laoptop for this 6 months’ old Dell one. It is so frustrating to search online to look for solutions as we have to solve the issue ASAP.

It is more upsetting to see many people experiencing the same issue, suffered trying all workarounds/solutions, and many of us had to become “handymen” even our laptops are still within warranty periods. Does everyone must have engineer knowledge in order to be qualified for a Dell laptop owner?

I thought Dell brand is very trustable. I am so wrong!

1 Message

January 21st, 2021 15:00

I opened my laptop and replaced the DC harness jack and everything works again. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J443QJ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

March 7th, 2021 11:00

I have the same issue with two of Dell unit. For some undetermined reason, the charger is no longer being recognized as the correct charger for my dell laptop.   This is my fourth until purchase from dell and this has happened a couple of times.  It is very frustrating... 

I may never purchase another DELL (unless Dell offers a free checkup).  

1 Message

May 13th, 2021 05:00

I am having the same problem. Very disappointing. My laptop is nearly two years old, and it is only recently I have had this problem. Up until today it seemed to charge from one plug and not another, for some reason. Now it is not charging at all. I am not travelling around so hopefully I will be able to use with it plugged in, but it says it does not recognise my charger, even though it's the one that came with the purchase. As I am working from home I hope it will continue working plugged in. So frustrating. I am not technical and do not want to start pulling it open. Any advice really welcome. 

June 3rd, 2021 09:00

This seems to be an inherent problem with most Dell Laptops.

I had the same issue with my old Dell Inspiron 17R. I replaced the battery first and it did not work. Then I replaced the dc jack and it worked well. I still use the 2013 laptop with the old battery.

But I bought a new Inspiron 14 5000 and I have the same issue. This has a different adapter model than the other computer. So not able try with different adaptors to see if an adaptor change will work or not. 

From the above posts it seems the dc Jack change or adapter change should solve the issue. Can you please advise which should I try first. New Adaptor or new DC Jack.

No Events found!