Inspiron 15 5567 Very Slow

I just purchased the inspiron 15 5567 laptop
i3 6006u processor
4GB DDR4 Ram
1TB Toshiba harddisk
Intel HD 520 graphics
With Windows,McAfee pre-installed
But my laptop is running very slow
Bootup time over 2 minutes even after disabling almost all the startup processes
Hangs alot while working
Cortana responds after 10-15 seconds after i click the microphone button
All latest drivers installed
Diagnostic test came out to be normal with no faults
When i tried Defragging the disk, it was just too slow
Even after 1 hour 4% defragmented so had to abort
Please help me improve the performance of the laptop
Just out of the box, should not be so slow from the beginning itself

9.4K Posts

March 30th, 2018 04:00

Hi Dr. RD,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

It is frustrating that a new system appears to run slowly.  If all the software and programs and updates have finished installing, it should be running faster.  However, if after everything has finished loading, updating and installing you are experiencing slowness, then it's possible that the install didn't go well.  You can run a system diagnostics to make sure there's no problems by pressing F12 at startup or running Dell Support Assist.  

If the operating system install became corrupted, you can do a repair or restore using the media you created when you started your computer.  Here's information from another website you may find helpful:

Reset or reinstall Windows 10 on your Dell computer

4 Posts

August 15th, 2018 13:00

Dr. Rd,

I had the same issue.  The problem is caused by the horrible hard disk installed (5,400 RPM 1Tb in my case).  I bought an SSD on Amazon, installed it myself (extremely easy - 10 minutes actual labour + 3 hours to replicate disk prior to installation).  I bought a Crucible MX500 for $100, but there were multiple other options including WD at the same price, Samsung, etc.  The computer is running at normal speed now.

FYI, I worked with Dell support on this - more than 10 hours of remote troubleshooting, followed by shipping my laptop to Dell for repairs.  Nothing works, and they kept closing my case, despite telling them the problem wasn't fixed. 

I finally clued into the issue while looking for 100% disk usage issue online (check your performance monitor - you'll notice the same thing).  Once I replaced it with the SSD, the computer ran fine.  In your case, I believe you only have 4GB of RAM - you may want to consider upgrading that as well.

Hope this is helpful.

4 Posts

By the way, in case it wasn't clear - there's nothing physically wrong with the old hard disk - it's just that 5,400 RPM 1TB disks are extremely slow - this is why the system runs slow.  It's not great that the Dell support team don't know or won't tell you this.

247 Posts

Honestly this system is close to a base model and being new the system is probably doing a lot of background tasks. Don't bother defrag a new drive Win 10 will do this automatically this is just not needed. Also investigate task manager to see what is running at startup. McAfee is probably doing a preboot scan so that can cause delay's. Personally, I would uninstall McAfee and just use Defender built into Windows 10. Its uses much less resources and won't bog down your system. The hard drive isn't a big problem but if your system is doing a lot of background tasks its going to run slow. You talk about it hangs a lot working, but don't say what your running? 4Gb is minimum these days for RAM and ideal 8 Gb would be better if you open a lot of tabs in browser or several programs. I would consider doubling RAM if possible. The other possibility is this PC is not for you, maybe for what you do you need a core i5 a SSD drive and 8Gb of RAM?

1 Message

February 3rd, 2019 14:00

Hi,

My 5567 is i7, with 16gb ram and a Samsung 500gb SSD.Still running slow. Recently, the battery is not charging and I  am on AC all the time. My next laptop won"t be Dell definitely. 

1 Message

February 3rd, 2019 17:00

I never try to load any loaded software on my laptop I just use for surf web browsing and also sometime watch videos on youtube and sometime do chat on the chat rooms sites but its work fine and fast, dell products are better then other brands as i always use it, like i was use hp brand before but that was drain more quick rather then dell, dell is good one as i see.

September 30th, 2019 23:00

I totally agree. This Dell (my wife's) just took 23 seconds from clicking reply to getting to write this! It can take minutes sometimes. It is ONLY used for web surfing and ebay shopping.

I have run support assist, I have reset it. I also have the battery present but not charging problem, and yes I have done all the driver remove and replace drivers routine. The last suggestion was to replce the cmos motherboard battery. It is deliberately designed so you cannot change the battery yourself unless you have the technical knowledge and then it will invalidate any warranty you have if you do.

Curry's renewed the battery after one year. It's less than 2 years old now. It's an i5. I also have an HP i5 that is lightning fast. 

Dell? AVOID!

I would also add that the sound quality is diabolical, it crackles like the speakers out of a 50 year old TV!

I will NEVER buy another Dell. The time I have wasted trying to tune this up is beyond ridiculous, I have had online support sessions from professionals and they can't sort it.

1 Message

May 22nd, 2021 02:00

You need to run windows on the ssd. For that you can install a new windows or Clone everything you have. HERE this Video will help you 

How to clone your hdd to ssd := use macrium reflect or samsung migrate i used samsung as  i purchased Samsumg evo 870:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E_1QFy9Xtc&list=PL4PBOtXO48eSotncVGkbiOfVWyOGFjIPQ&index=2

Dell laptop disassembly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spldop-OLtY&list=PL4PBOtXO48eSotncVGkbiOfVWyOGFjIPQ&index=2

No Events found!