Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

4 Posts

February 2nd, 2020 04:00

Inspiron 15 - 5567 system fan not working after replacement

The system fan on my laptop became very noisy - decided to change it out for a new one.  After replacing the fan with a brand new one, it has stopped working.  I even get the SupportAssist message during startup that the System Fan is Not Responding #2000-0511.

I have updated all of the drivers thru the Dell Support Site and upgraded the BIOS to the latest version.  This had no effect - the fan still does not spin. But, the PC will start and run normally.

I am not sure if it matters, but I am testing the fan with the bottom case OFF.  The fan (and the system components) are fully exposed and I can see it is not spinning.  Does the case need to be replaced and secured before the fan will work? Is this my problem?

If not, what other steps can I take?  I reviewed and followed the Fan Replacement steps in the Service Manual for the Dell 5567.  Everything was conducted according to these specs.

Any ideas on what is causing my simple system fan not to function?

In advance - thank you for your suggestions and assistance.

4 Posts

February 2nd, 2020 08:00

JOcean -

Yes - I have the 4-pin fan and it does connect properly into the MB (as far as I can tell visually).  I performed the Reset of the BIOS and the system restarted cleanly without the error message about the fan.  However the fan has not started to spin yet.  Is it normal for the fan not to start when the system is started or rebooted?

Is there any simple test to see if it is performing properly now?

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

February 2nd, 2020 08:00

Was the fan you installed a genuine Dell fan and was it a 4 pin connector? Also this video may help. The BIOS has to be reset for the error message to clear and the fan to operate normally.

This Dell support page describes the procedure to reset the BIOS.

4 Posts

February 2nd, 2020 13:00

JOcean -

I let the laptop run for the full day and after a system update and reboot, the Error message is back.  Evidently just resetting the bios did not do the trick.

One question - should the fan adapter be plugged into the MB socket with the 4-pins facing UP or DOWN?  I am assuming it makes a difference which direction it is plugged in.

Do you have any other suggestions I could try?

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

February 2nd, 2020 19:00

It absolutely matters which way the cable is plugged in. But I think the cable only plugs in one way. However this picture on the service manual page has a better view.

4 Posts

February 3rd, 2020 10:00

JOcean - 

I verified that the system fan connection is the same as the one in the photo.  The system fan is still not working on the PC.

Are there any diagnostics I can down load to test the viability of the fan connection?  I have run both the Short and Full Diagnostic Tests - all results were positive and there were "0" errors on either tests of the laptop's hardware. 

What should be my next step in this process?

August 9th, 2021 13:00

Not sure if you ever found out... but the plug goes in with silver bits viewable, and the red wire at the top, nearest the hinges, then reset bios

Actually my experience with this proved otherwise .. the "natural" way you would think this goes in is actually wrong.  The correct way is so that you can see the little silver joints, or put another way... so that the red wire is at the top, nearest the hinges.  I was having same problems until trying it this way.  Do also make sure you restore defaults in the bios, and then it fired right up. 

August 9th, 2021 13:00

Actually my experience with this proved otherwise .. the "natural" way you would think this goes in is actually wrong.  The correct way is so that you can see the little silver joints, or put another way... so that the red wire is at the top, nearest the hinges.  I was having same problems until trying it this way.  Do also make sure you restore defaults in the bios, and then it fired right up. 

No Events found!