sssaksena
2 Bronze

Inspiron 15 5570 WIFI VERY SLOW - Frustrating

Jump to solution

I've been seeing this in quite a lot of threads on the internet, there is an issue with the wifi module (intel dual band wireless-AC 3165) that DELL is using in its new line of laptops.

I have Comcast's 250mbps internet connection at home. I have several other devices (phones, tablets, chromebook) that get at least 40-50mbps with wireless connection (checked using speedtest.net app) but the new DELL laptop 5570 that I bought in January 2018 from DELL's website is only getting 1-2mbps download and 3-4mbps upload speed. Can someone explain whats going on and help troubleshoot this problem. I've reset the modem, checked it's firmware and updated the DELL system with all new updates. Wifi module driver is also up to date. 

I'm using DLink DIR 850L router. I hope I provided enough info. Please help.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
JeroenJeroen
2 Iron

Re: DELL Inspiron 15 5570 WIFI VERY SLOW - Frustrating

Jump to solution

I found the solution! finally!!!
I turned off SmartByte and my internet speed doubled!
Don't know yet if it will stay stable, but I think it will.

Hope it works for you as well!

All the best!

View solution in original post

sparksdls
3 Silver

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, I spent hours solving and fixing this independently on a new Inspiron desktop. - went from 5Mbps to 175Mbps. Why on earth is Dell installing this????

91 Replies
JeroenJeroen
2 Iron

Jump to solution
I have the exact same problem, only on my Dell Inspiron 15 5570 is the WiFi super slow compared to all other devices here. Everything is up-to-date and test results were good.
I'm getting desperate.. Only thing I can think of is that the network card is either super bad or they put in the wrong one..
JeroenJeroen
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I found the solution! finally!!!
I turned off SmartByte and my internet speed doubled!
Don't know yet if it will stay stable, but I think it will.

Hope it works for you as well!

All the best!

sssaksena
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

wow. just wow. I uninstalled this Smart(dumb)Byte application from my laptop and I'm seeing great speeds!

Doesnt surprise me that one of the DELL crapware caused all the problems and headaches.

Its insane.

Shame on DELL, they will never own up to such things. always try to blame the firmware or anything else they can point fingers at.

JeroenJeroen
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I feel you.. Happy it worked at least!!

0 Kudos
Weep gaming
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Why i do a fresh install every time I get a new PC.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I have a brand new Inspiron 7373.   I work in IT.  I went through **bleep** troubleshooting this.  Dell support, driver reinstalls, tweaking network card settings, tweaking router settings.

Symptom:  Wifi would remain connected, however internet would drop intermittently. WIN10 troubleshooter reported issues with "detecting proxy settings".  Intermittent drops occurred around high bandwidth (80/443) browsing.  Could restore Internet connection inconsistently with reset, or sometimes with wifi drop & connect, or ipconfig /renew.  Odd symptom was that I was unable to browse to the modem config page outside the subnet when Internet dropped, but fully able to browse to the router config page.  ICMP would often work to the internet, modem and router despite 80/443 browsing not working.  

Solution: Uninstall Smartbyte application and Smartbyte Drivers from your Win10 machine.

100% resolution of issues.

Nikrom
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

+1 guys,

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming , and had the same issue with the Wi-Fi speed.

I uninstalled that rubbish  SmartByte and from 5Mbps my broadband went to normal which is 110Mbps as through Ethernet cable.

Thanks for tip guys....

0 Kudos
brucelangstonhti
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

two thumbs up! i uninstalled SmartByte, and my download speed improved from 3-4mbps to 47!

0 Kudos
Jamessss
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thank you so much! After more than a week messing around and posting on these boards (which no one from Dell replied to) I finally have a solution. Just uninstalled this yesterday and no issues in over 24 hours since. Never went more than an hour or so without dropout before that.Thanks!