Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 17th, 2019 00:00

Inspiron 15-5582, Windows Hello isn't available on this device

Hello,
Does anybody know why my Dell Inspiron 5482 with fingerprint reader shows "Windows Hello isn't available for this device"?Windows Hello isn't availbleWindows Hello isn't availble

Thank you.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

March 18th, 2019 04:00

That is a Dell sales upgrade option that he is speaking about. There is a fingerprint reader and cable that can be replaced on the 5000 series. However the fingerprint reader power button assembly would have to be ordered along with the IO board. I am not sure it can be installed on your motherboard, which could mean a motherboard replacement. The easiest way to have a fingerprint reader would be to order something like the following from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=usb+fingerprint+scanner&crid=28Y0OK3CKTNAV&sprefix=fingerprint+scanner%2Caps%2C173&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_19

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

March 17th, 2019 06:00

The following may help. Also I believe you have to setup the fingerprint reader before Hello will work. And make sure that the reader is listed in Device Manager under Biometric Devices.

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/windows-hello-isnt-available-on-this-device-on-windows-10-solved/

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 17th, 2019 09:00

We can assume, since the finger print reader is optional on that system, you do have it?  I saw one system which mentions if there is a light in the button, there is not a finger print reader but yours may be different.

Otherwise, as mentioned, the system needs to be configured and the necessary drivers installed.  Windows just looks as what is available and gives the appropriate message for that configuration.

You should show the options even if you have not entered a PIN but if there was some type of problem with the PIN, it may also be involved.

5 Posts

March 17th, 2019 11:00

Thanks @JOcean 

I have followed all the ways but no luck. I have used Easy Drivers and all my drivers are updated. I don't see any Biometric option under Device manager. 

Device ManagerDevice Manager

5 Posts

March 17th, 2019 11:00

Thanks @JOcean 

I have followed all the ways but no luck. I have used Easy Drivers and all my drivers are updated. I don't see any Biometric option under Device manager. 

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

March 17th, 2019 14:00

If Biometric Devices is not shown then you cannot setup Hello because a reader is not detected.. Are you absolutely certain that your system has a fingerprint reader. I have one on my 5575 and no it does not have a light in it, in fact it looks like a standard power button, but it does have a tag next to it that looks like a fingerprint which indicates a reader. Do you have that tag next to your power button? Also go to Dell support and type in your service tag number. Look at original configuration and see if a reader was included. It is very possible that you do not have a reader as it was an option on systems. Next question is, did the reader ever work?

5 Posts

March 17th, 2019 16:00

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

March 17th, 2019 16:00

For your own safety and security do not post the service tag number in the forum.

Having said that if you look at the original configuration for your system you will see palmrest WITHOUT fingerprint reader. You do not have a fingerprint reader on your system.

5 Posts

March 18th, 2019 01:00

Hi @JOcean 

Can you please check the review here at 3:50 sec? It says the power button can be upgraded to finger print reader .

https://youtu.be/epkPjzH-xv8

Thank you

No Events found!