Highlighted
1 Copper

Inspiron 15-7???, buzzing/crackling sound on gaming

hi, 
i just bought my laptop for 2 weeks..

experiencing buzzing/crackling soudn whenever i played audio.
it happens on both speakers and on plug in headsets.

i believe its software problem, just now sure what it is.

have try disabling dell diag controller device.
disable and uninstalling realtek drivers. restart. updating audio drivers. 
didnt work for me. 

what else can i try?

Labels (2)
37 Replies
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: buzzing/crackling sound on inspiron 15 7000 gaming

Hi there,

I purchased my Inspiron 15 Gaming 7567 two months ago and few last day all audio has some periodical scratches included. I spent all day to find solution. I have tried every advice from web but without luck.

I updated or reinstalled every single driver, BIOS, even tried latest drivers from Intel, Realtek, switched to native microsoft hd audio drivers, messing with power saving settings - but nothing helped. 

Problem in my case was solved by uninstalling (preinstalled) Smartbyte software application, which should help with network traffic optimization by mangling with sockets priority. In my laptop its process "rivet networks dynamic bandwidth manager" took in average 4-5% of CPU time. After unistallation CPU is idle and no more audio problems. I think personally this software is not needed for typical home wifi networks and its safe to remove it.

Hope this will help someone.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Thanks so much for the great Smartbytes information. My Inspiron 5000 was doing exactly the same noises that you described except every song I played off of my hard drive sounded like a vinyl tune with a huge scratch on it. EVERY SONG and even songs I played from Youtube.

After seeing your comments I went to Control Panel and found Smartbytes and  noticed another file called Smartbytes Drivers and Services and noticed it was included in an update from 3/27/2018 about the time I started noticing the "Scratch". I uninstalled both the Smartbyte application and the Drivers and Services file and guess what.......no more issues with audio noises. Absolute pristine audio now. Whoever "owns" the Smartbyte and Drivers had better start checking them out and correct this issue.

Thanks so much for your comment again.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

For me, the crackling had been going on for several days and was becoming very annoying. I just found this forum topic and looked for Smartbytes. Couldn't find it in the Control Panel but I did find a Smartbytes diagnostic program from the start button. On running this, I noticed that the crackling had gone. I've since found Smartbytes in the Apps & features part of the system settings app, but, now that the crackling seems to have gone, I'm not sure whether to uninstall Smartbytes.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Thank you @sofistek! Removing smartbytes solved the problem

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Smartbyte was the issue!!!! Thank you so much for finding that. I've been running into latency issues on a brand new inspirion 15 7000 and have tried disabling/updating driver upon driver.

Went from over 6000us down to 1000us in latency.
Highlighted
1 Copper

I went on with the same Smartbyte diagnostics applicatooato rectify the crackling issue on my Dell G7 and it worked for me. Thanks to you guys and this forum

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

This solution worked for me.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Uninstalling SmartByte solved the problem, instantly. Same as someone mentioned above, this issue happened about a month ago, and the latest smartbyte installation was also about a month ago! Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Thanks soo much!! I had the same issue with my inspiron 7370, hope the word spreads, cheers!

Highlighted
1 Copper

guys i have the same problem i did everything without have a solution, can you help me to find smartbyte app to delete it, its the only solve remaining to have a try...

@kenneeeh  @zhan2204  @nicglol  @rimos  @nelsd 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Worked for me, thanks!!

Highlighted
2 Iron

Finally!

In the start menu you can launch SmartByte. There is an on/off switch. Turning it off worked for me. 

Thanks all.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Turning off SmartByte worked for me, too! Press the Windows button (or click the Start menu), type "smartb", select SmartByte, let the app start, then flip the switch in the top right corner to Off. That's it! No more static or crackling every second or so.

The Dell technician came twice in trying to fix my issue: first to replace the speakers, then to replace the motherboard. Didn't work obviously, so I would have had to send in the computer to the Dell depot. I was not thrilled.

So glad this resolved my issue - thanks all!

Highlighted
1 Copper

Hi,

Turning off SmartByte solved my audio issue too!

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

The Scratchy sound started again today.

Apparently the Smart(NOT)Bytes reinstalled itself 7/9.

So I uninstalled again. 

DELL really needs to kill that App. Or make them fix their Audio Bug Effect!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

There is another thread where a poster states SmartByte  is being reinstalled.  My question would be how did you uninstall the driver.  It is an optional driver and should not automatically be selected for reinstall.

Are you using Support Assist and the Dell Updater plug-in for that or the separate Dell Updater.

Does the June Update not correct the problem seen by many of us, in the May update?

1 Copper

That fixed mine! Thanks for tracking it down! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

That's the solution!!  Remove the Smartbyte software!  Thanks for the heads-up.

After wasting an afternoon updating, de-installing and re-installing drivers, unplugging and re-plugging peripherals, speakers etc. it turns out it was just this pointless piece of software. I don't even know what it's supposed to do! my network functions fine without it!

I did find though that uninstalling it from 'Programs and Features' in the Control Panel only gets rid of some of the software - which reduced but didn't eliminate the problem. You have to go int the 'Start' menu and look for the folder named 'Rivet' or 'Rivet Networks' and delete the contents there too.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I had the exact same problem. A cracking interference-like sound whenever anything played. MAN; YOU ARE A LIFESAVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LONG LIVE TO YOU SIR!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Same here, I hadn't started my computer in some days, and after a few minutes of using it I noticed something was getting installed automatically. Checking in ProcessExplorer, I see a process that I did not recognize (I know approximately all processes that should be running on my computer). I research about "Rivet Networks Dynamic Bandwidth Manager" and find this thread. Reading the issues there, I start a song playing from the disk, and discover the exact same issue with the sound crackling. After uninstalling the software from the Add/Remove Program, the crackling had disappeared. What in the **bleep** does DELL think it is doing installing random drivers without user consent that make a computer go from working properly to defective..... Utterly annoying....
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Thank You!

Uninstalling the "Smartbyte software application" absolutely helped.

It's amazing to me that almost 4 months from this original post, this issue is still going on, and Dell is still pushing this stuff. I just got this update on or around the 13th.  I was never affected before. 

Now I can listen Spotify again!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Thanks for this info, it really helped. Appreciate the effort you put in - "I updated or reinstalled every single driver, BIOS, even tried latest drivers from Intel, Realtek, switched to native microsoft hd audio drivers, messing with power saving settings - but nothing helped." - because us fellow users benefited from your contribution.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

thanks to your awesome solution to this problem it truly solved the issue  that i was shaving with the speakers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Had the same problem with the Dell G7. After uninstalling SmartBytes and rebooting the crackling went away.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Hi!

Very well done!

Something to obvious at all!

A terrific thank you!

From an IT old pro!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

you mean the sound like your G7 produces is like "prrt" and also come with lagging but only lasts for 0.5secs?

0 Kudos
1 Copper

Hi!

Very well done!

Something to obvious at all!

A terrific thank you!

From an IT old pro!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

This solution works with the 7560 too - thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Hi there,

thx for your help - Smartbyte software unistalled and sound on my Dell Inspiron 7566 is perfect again ;-). I spent 1 day with reinstalling of all around "sound"...

MARTIN

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Thank YOU! You solved my problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Fantastic! After uninstall smart bytes, it works for me. Thank you so much. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

We have the Inspiron 17 gaming laptop and had the same problem. Read about the Smartbyte software and decided to try that solution. Uninstalled all Smartbyte software and we now have crystal clear sound.

Thanks for the advice.

David

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Same problem - Inspiron 15 7000, uninstalled Smartbyte and now sound is clear. Thankyou

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Thanks mate! it's got a great amp in the laptop I was really hoping it wasn't a hardware issue as my warranty has just run out, I was running from HDMI for a while but then using audio jack this issue came up for me SMARTBYTES SOFTWARE -- WHY DELL!? .. it's gone now and I'm happy! Thanks again!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I've been having the crackling sound issue for a couple weeks. I called Dell support and they sent a tech out to my home the next day and replaced my speakers and was still having the same problem. The tech said he was going to come back the next day and replace the mother board which is still under warranty. After Googling the issue I found this You Tube video  -

@zhan2204 wrote:

hi, 
i just bought my laptop for 2 weeks..

experiencing buzzing/crackling soudn whenever i played audio.
it happens on both speakers and on plug in headsets.

i believe its software problem, just now sure what it is.

have try disabling dell diag controller device.
disable and uninstalling realtek drivers. restart. updating audio drivers. 
didnt work for me. 

what else can i try?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB3lbTm3PYc  

same problem here and watched this video and now the crackling is gone!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB3lbTm3PYc and followed his advice about uninstalling the SmatWare  app and now the cracking is completely gone!

Highlighted
1 Copper

Hi,

It happened to me also. I tried to uninstall SmarByte but it doesn't allow me to do it, my antivirus is detecting something and sending it to quarantine, it's weird.

I tried only turning off SmartByte and it seems it stopped. But I want to know if someone else had the same problem with the antivirus.

Thank you all!!

IF SOMEONE HAS THE SAME PROBLEM. YOU ONLY NEED TO DEACTIVATE THE ANTIVIRUS WHILE YOU ARE UNINSTALLING IT.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Easiest way to fix it- You DON'T have to delete any drivers or Smartbyte all you have to do is open the app Services and then find SmartByte Network Services, right click on it and press properties, stop the service and then disable it and problem solved.