GrampsMcCramps
1 Copper

Re: buzzing/crackling sound on inspiron 15 7000 gaming

That fixed mine! Thanks for tracking it down! 

0 Kudos
dellcanpedro
1 Copper

Turning off SmartByte worked for me, too! Press the Windows button (or click the Start menu), type "smartb", select SmartByte, let the app start, then flip the switch in the top right corner to Off. That's it! No more static or crackling every second or so.

The Dell technician came twice in trying to fix my issue: first to replace the speakers, then to replace the motherboard. Didn't work obviously, so I would have had to send in the computer to the Dell depot. I was not thrilled.

So glad this resolved my issue - thanks all!

watercracker
1 Copper

Hi,

Turning off SmartByte solved my audio issue too!

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
LokRobster
1 Copper

The Scratchy sound started again today.

Apparently the Smart(NOT)Bytes reinstalled itself 7/9.

So I uninstalled again. 

DELL really needs to kill that App. Or make them fix their Audio Bug Effect!!

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Germanium

There is another thread where a poster states SmartByte  is being reinstalled.  My question would be how did you uninstall the driver.  It is an optional driver and should not automatically be selected for reinstall.

Are you using Support Assist and the Dell Updater plug-in for that or the separate Dell Updater.

Does the June Update not correct the problem seen by many of us, in the May update?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
Timbo2
1 Copper

That's the solution!!  Remove the Smartbyte software!  Thanks for the heads-up.

After wasting an afternoon updating, de-installing and re-installing drivers, unplugging and re-plugging peripherals, speakers etc. it turns out it was just this pointless piece of software. I don't even know what it's supposed to do! my network functions fine without it!

I did find though that uninstalling it from 'Programs and Features' in the Control Panel only gets rid of some of the software - which reduced but didn't eliminate the problem. You have to go int the 'Start' menu and look for the folder named 'Rivet' or 'Rivet Networks' and delete the contents there too.

0 Kudos
stingy
1 Copper

Thank you @sofistek! Removing smartbytes solved the problem

0 Kudos
Andthorn
1 Copper

I had the exact same problem. A cracking interference-like sound whenever anything played. MAN; YOU ARE A LIFESAVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LONG LIVE TO YOU SIR!

0 Kudos
Zrkkrz
1 Copper

Same here, I hadn't started my computer in some days, and after a few minutes of using it I noticed something was getting installed automatically. Checking in ProcessExplorer, I see a process that I did not recognize (I know approximately all processes that should be running on my computer). I research about "Rivet Networks Dynamic Bandwidth Manager" and find this thread. Reading the issues there, I start a song playing from the disk, and discover the exact same issue with the sound crackling. After uninstalling the software from the Add/Remove Program, the crackling had disappeared. What in the **bleep** does DELL think it is doing installing random drivers without user consent that make a computer go from working properly to defective..... Utterly annoying....
0 Kudos
NapWhisperer
1 Copper

Thank You!

Uninstalling the "Smartbyte software application" absolutely helped.

It's amazing to me that almost 4 months from this original post, this issue is still going on, and Dell is still pushing this stuff. I just got this update on or around the 13th.  I was never affected before. 

Now I can listen Spotify again!

0 Kudos