Highlighted
2 Bronze

Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming (7567) - system stuck at Windows loading screen

Note: TL;DR The original title of this post was Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming (7567) - dGPU apparently no longer detected. It was entitled as such because it was the last symptom noticed prior to discovering that the system cannot properly boot no more. Title now updated to reflect the current problem. On the next post, it will be seen that a stopcode (ACPI_BIOS_ERROR) is apparently what is happening.

I was originally satisfied with this laptop a person gifted to me, brand new, including receipt from retailer. It hit most, if not all of my desired things in a laptop. Sure, I had to update the BIOS a few times, experience a few random shutdowns (that eventually seemingly got fixed, yay), and undervolt a wee bit to give me better thermal breathing room, apart from putting it on top of a proper laptop stand for better cooling when doing some gaming.

I got this laptop last month (2018 02 09).

Yesterday, after a good round of Tekken 7 (with all settings on ultra, because I can), upon deciding to run another GPU-intensive app, the application tells me that I do not have a GTX 1050ti installed, even after running the said program with a right click (then selecting "Run with high performance NVIDIA processor"). I thought I needed a restart, maybe it's the only thing I needed.

Now I can't boot up the machine. Hangs after the swirly circle Windows 10 loading progress screen.

I have yet to do other troubleshooting steps other than...

1. Turn off and turn on the machine. (power cycle)
  2. Check if fans are rotating (put ear on fan vents and listen) - they work.
  3. Let it rest for quite some time (cooldown) - issue still persists.
  4. run Dell ePSA Preboot System Assessment completely (F12 on boot -> choose ePSA) - it just started.

Assuming that the power brick's LED would change color (from blue) if there was a power fault, there was none a change - it's still blue just like the day it was given to me.

As for how the undervolt was done, I have used Intel XTU and reduced voltage by 80mV. The GPU was underclocked through MSI Afterburner down to 1300MHz. To clarify things, there is no way to adjust voltages manually because it is disabled (as a safety feature), and it was good that there was such a thing. Yes, I am shortchanging myself a bit as far as performance goes, but the temperatures never exceeded 70degreesC thanks to this.

I have yet to try other things to see if it still works. See below for other things I might have already tried. It's rather sad that after just a month of steady use, gaming, internet browsing, movies, and some video transcoding, the laptop decides to fail. However, there might still be things I have not tried, or guidance I might very well need.

Is there anything else I can do?

System BIOS version 1.5.3
ePSA build 4304.14
Windows 10 Home FCU
Drivers updated as per auto-update mechanism.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: stopcode ACPI_BIOS_ERROR upon boot d̶G̶P̶U̶ ̶a̶p̶p̶a̶r̶e̶n̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶l̶o̶n̶g̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶e̶t̶e̶c

Continuing onward..

1. DONE Powercycle the machine.
    Result: Issue still persists. Boot halts a few seconds into the Windows swirly loading screen.
  2. DONE Check fans for operation.
    Result: Fans whirr and exhibit noise associated with operation.
  3. DONE Attempt cooldown and retry.
    Result: Issue still persists.
  4. DONE Initiate Dell ePSA and see if there are error messages.
    Result: Dell ePSA (while on BIOS 1.5.3) completes successfully even with "Thorough Test" option. Unfortunately I didn't know prior that results could be saved to USB. Noted that GTX 1050Ti is absent from the Result Log.
  5. DONE Attempt to image SSD with disk imaging software prior to initiating reinstallation.
    Result: both Acronis True Image WD Edition and Macrium Reflect Free rescue media fail to boot on machine. Acronis TI WD Edition simply hangs on either 32-bit or 64-bit boot option. Macrium Reflect Free halts boot with STOPCODE ACPI_BIOS_ERROR. Flipping between Legacy and UEFI boot methods show same result.
  6. DONE Attempt to boot from machine with clean Windows 10 install media from MSFT Media Creation Tool.
    Result: Windows 10 boot from install media fails with STOPCODE ACPI_BIOS_ERROR. Flipping between Legacy and UEFI boot methods show same result.

I am contemplating on removing the SSD, slapping in a HDD, and try from there. And maybe a BIOS rollback. But then there might be guidance I might have missed or not know.

Thank you for any help given.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: stopcode ACPI_BIOS_ERROR upon boot d̶G̶P̶U̶ ̶a̶p̶p̶a̶r̶e̶n̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶l̶o̶n̶g̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶e̶t̶e̶c

Continuing onward..

1. DONE
  2. DONE
  3. DONE
  4. DONE
  5. DONE
  6. DONE
  7. DONE Rollback BIOS to prior version with BIOS Guard (Boot with CTRL+ESC depressed while plugging adapter). Try booting afterward.
    Result: Rollback restored BIOS 1.00.05, and proceeded to boot Windows. Issue still persists. Windows hangs a few seconds into the loading screen and freezes just like before.
  8. DONE Upon rolling back BIOS, try doing Steps 5 and 6.
    Result: Same issues as earlier. STOPCODE ACPI_BIOS_ERROR
  9. DONE Upon rolling back BIOS, do a Dell ePSA and note the results.
    Result: Saving the ePSA results to a USB key and reading it after apparently shows no errors. However, GTX 1050Ti is again unseen within the results. Is this normal?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

Did you make any recovery media for the system so you could work on it after signing in?

A missing display adapter may mean it has failed or is in the process of failing.  On the system that happened to me, the boot was not effected.  I do not know for sure if the device is included in the ePSA test but I would assume it was.  Maybe I will run mine to see.

The 7567s have been having major problems with unwanted shutdowns which might be related to power issues.  Possibly battery problems, so are you doing tests with and without external power connected?

Have you modified your system from factory configuration?

I assume you have reset you bios to defaults settings and if any changes were needed after that, you made those?

2 Bronze

Thank you for the nice reminder, kind person *smile*

Yes, I forgot to try out the Dell Recovery Media I created first thing after acquiring the laptop. Also, I agree with your statement about disappearing hardware possibly meaning eventual hardware failure.

Please do try ePSA if and when you are not inconvenienced.

I was honestly surprised upon reading up on the boards and on other places about the seemingly-widespread "7567 issues" regarding power, unwanted shutdowns and things... I got the laptop while it was still in 1.00.05 (February 2018), encountered some shutdowns (which I simply dismissed as overheating at that time, since undervolting and raising the laptop 1" seemingly ended it), and went straight away to 1.5.3 when it came out. Yes, I have tried some of these tests with and without external power (unfortunately I forgot to note that in the previous posts), but thanks to your reminder, I retried most of them with and without external power just to see.

The results are apparently the same.

I have yet to modify the laptop from factory configuration. Also, you are correct in stating that I have reset the BIOS settings to defaults. I have to say that to the best of my weak knowledge, yes, the changes that were needed after that (to at least switch between Legacy boot and UEFI boot, and to dis/enable Secure Boot) were made by me, so far.

Continuing onward with results..

1. DONE
  2. DONE
  3. DONE
  4. DONE
  5. DONE
  6. DONE
  7. DONE
  8. DONE
  9. DONE
  10. DONE Use Dell Recovery Media to try and restore original configuration.
    Result: Machine enters into a bootloop (UEFI). Machine halts on STOPCODE ACPI_BIOS_ERROR.
  11. DONE Download Fedora 27 and boot verbose.
    Result: Without using acpi=off, Fedora fails to boot. In legacy boot, boot stops on message "ACPI: Power Resource [PG00] (on)". Using UEFI boot, boot process hangs on black screen. Using acpi=off, Fedora boots on either legacy or UEFI boot modes. lspci and dmesg doesn't show GTX 1050Ti to my weak knowledge. Touchpad does not work.
  12. DONE Do Steps 8 to 11 without external power connected. Note that battery was at 100% prior to start of all redone tests.
    Result: No apparent changes were noticed with newly introduced factor (no external power connected).

Sad. I guess I should at least check the warranty on this thing.
Thank you very much to all people. If there are things I have overlooked, please tell me. *bow*

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

I did not see a mention of the Nvidia GPU in the diagnostics.

I might suggest attaching an external monitor to see what happens.  The Nvidia device seems to be involved in handling those types of monitors.

The fact you can't boot any USB media due to ACPI warnings would seem to indicate a service call may be necessary.