ttori0117
1 Nickel

Inspiron 15-7537, unable to reinstall Wireless-N 7260

I stupidly uninstalled the network adapter (Intel(R) Wireless-N 7260) on my Dell to try to fix wifi connectivity issues and now I cannot reinstall it. I have tried several times and I don't know what to do anymore. I downloaded it from here, https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28143/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windo... , onto an external hard drive and then tried to reinstall it on my PC. Nothing is working. Can anyone help me?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: Unable to reinstall Intel(R) Wireless-N 7260 on my Dell

You have to tell us exactly which PC model you have and the version of Windows you're running before anyone can help you. :Idea:

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Also after listing the model number did you try and download the drivers from Dell instead of Intel?

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built ASUS B450-F Gaming with Ryzen 5 2600X
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575
0 Kudos
Highlighted
ttori0117
1 Nickel

Yes, I did try to install from Dell after trying Intel. It unfortunately did not work. What would happen is it would download and appear under Network Adapters, then shortly after I would get an Error 10 code, it said something like "this driver does not exist," and it would disappear. 

0 Kudos
ttori0117
1 Nickel

Here's some information: 

System type is 64 bit operating system, x64-based processor

Processor is Intel (R) Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60GHz

Running on Windows 10

Laptop is a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series - 7537

0 Kudos
ttori0117
1 Nickel

Here are results from using an Intel System Support Utility, I thought they would be helpful to share, System Support Utility.JPG

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Are you logging into an account with Administrator privileges?

Is this the driver you tried from Dell? Download it again onto your desktop.

Open Device Manager and double-click the WiFi entry. Click the Driver tab and click the button to uninstall the driver. Exit Device Manager and reboot.

After getting back to the desktop, double-click the driver .exe file on your desktop to launch it. Follow the prompts to install it, and then reboot again. Does WiFi work now?

If not, go to Windows Control Panel>Network & Internet>Network Connections. Look for WiFi and if it says Disabled, click it to enable. Reboot and see if WiFi works now.

If not, right click the Start button and on the Run line type in:  services.msc and press Enter.  When services.msc opens, double-click the WLAN AutoConfig entry.  On its General tab make sure Startup Type is set to Automatic. If the Service Status says Stopped, click the button to start the service and when the Service Status changes to Started, click OK. EDIT: Do not change anything else in services.msc, just exit services.msc. Is the WiFi working now?

And there is always the possibility the WiFi card has simply failed. Is PC still under Dell's warranty?

FYI: You posted in the Inspiron Desktop forum. The Inspiron Laptop forum is here. :Wink:

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

I see your attachment but otherwise, why do you think the device is not an AC version instead of N? 

Are you loading the Wi-Fi drivers from the Dell site?  I do see a Wireless N Bluetooth driver for the 7260 but I have a 7260 on my 4 year old system and it is Wireless-AC.

I might also add, if you are using Win 10, I have seen some folks which had problems with an N adapter.  You might check into updating it if it is actually N.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

@Saltgrass wrote:

I see your attachment but otherwise, why do you think the device is not an AC version instead of N? 

Are you loading the Wi-Fi drivers from the Dell site?  I do see a Wireless N Bluetooth driver for the 7260 but I have a 7260 on my 4 year old system and it is Wireless-AC.

I might also add, if you are using Win 10, I have seen some folks which had problems with an N adapter.  You might check into updating it if it is actually N.

The Intel Utility identifies the card as N. WiFi N was the default wireless card in this model and an 'AC' card was an optional, extra cost upgrade.

If the OP can't get the existing WiFi card to work and/or it's not covered by warranty, the easiest thing to do would be to disable the internal WiFi card in Device Manager and simply plug in a USB WiFi dongle. An AC dongle will work with an N router, but an AC router will be needed to take advantage of the extra speed offered by an AC dongle.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos