Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

8 Posts

August 12th, 2019 00:00

Inspiron 15 7567 Power battery shutdown boot up issue

Hi guys,

I've been having a somewhat annoying problem with my Dell laptop. Here is the current situation:

When the charger is plugged in, I can shut down the laptop, but I cannot turn it back on when I press the power button. The only way to power it on is to actually disconnect the charger, then it turns on a few seconds later.

When the charger is not plugged in, if I try to shut it down or hibernate, around 15 seconds after shutdown the PC will turn back on.

Putting the laptop into sleep mode is OK and it will not wake up on its own, but the only way to wake it up is by closing down the screen and opening it up again (the power button doesn't work).

Holding down the power button for 10, 20, 30 seconds or whatever will not shut it down, regardless if the charger is plugged in or not. I'm fairly certain the power button is not malfunctioning. Once, I opened up the laptop, removed the SSD, and with the hard drive unplugged, pushing the power button did turn the laptop on.

I can't seem to find any specific settings in the BIOS that are related to this issue. I have tried some software solutions, like preventing the network adapter and USB adapters from waking up the laptop. I also have tried to tinker around with the Dell Power Manager Lite to set different charging settings. On the Startup and Recovery settings, I also tried to prevent the laptop from rebooting after a system failure. Nothing worked.

The fact that I was able to use the power button to turn the laptop on when it didn't have any hard drive installed might be a hint of something, but I don't know what it is.

I restored the laptop back to factory settings and updated all drivers via Dell's website and Windows Update. BIOS also updated.

BTW, I have made some modifications on the hardware. I added an extra 8GB of RAM to the 8GB I already had, but I made sure the additional RAM is exactly the same brand and model as the one that is already installed when I bought it.

I have tried to search a lot of forums for other possible solutions, but couldn't find anything helpful...

Any ideas?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 12th, 2019 05:00

I suppose a couple of things.  I have seen some systems not start with the power supply plugged in.  Usually unplugging was an fix and the situation did not happen again, at least for a while.

If you added memory, one thing to try is to remove the memory for testing.  

Which drive is your boot drive, and if it is the M.2 drive are you running it with the Intel controller or the NVMe controller and what drive is it.  There may be a firmware update for some of the OEM drives.

Bios update version?

As far as the lid, there are settings as what to do when that is opened or closed and on and off battery.  You might try adjusting that.  You might try running a different power scheme to see if anything changes.

If you put the following in a run box it will create a graph showing system occurrences.  You can click on one day and get info as to what was happening.  Maybe you will see something which repeats or is related to your problems.

perfmon /rel

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

August 12th, 2019 06:00

Welcome to the Dell Community @hohenheimelric 

Have you tried resetting the CMOS/BIOS.

Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming Service Manual:

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/04/inspiron-15-7567-laptop/inspiron-15-7567-service-manual/procedure?guid=guid-7e546e3a-c927-4ff3-a9b4-ae11ea7677fd&lang=en-us

Disconnect the AC adapter.

Disconnect the CMOS/BIOS battery.

Then hold down the power button for 10-15 seconds.

Reassemble and test.

What is the model number of your SSD???

Best regards,

U2

August 12th, 2019 10:00

Hi,

Thanks for replying. I will try to answer your questions the best way I can.

• I boot from an M2 drive (Samsung SSD PM871b M.2 2280 128 GB). About how I run it, I really don't know where to check it. 
  • BIOS is in the latest 1.9.0 version
  • I ran the command you wrote about and it's only some software problems like windows update errors.

I forgot to mention that I had a Water spill on my laptop a few months ago and had to replace the motherboard. Before that, I didn't have these problems. 

Thanks for the help

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 12th, 2019 10:00

Have you tried selecting the boot diagnostic if you tap the F12 key during boot and select that option?

August 14th, 2019 18:00

Hello,

Yes I have tried and it works. Booting the computer is actually not the hardest part. What I find most annoying is that the power button doesn't work properly, For example, if I try to force the laptop off by pressing the power button for five to ten seconds, it doesn't do anything. When I try to wake it up after suspending it, it only wakes up by closing and opening of the screen. I'm not sure if it could be that the cable that connects the power button to the motherboard is damaged. The LED of the button works, but anything else doesn't. Sometimes it works when I press it to power on the laptop. And as I wrote in my original message, when I want to power off the computer, it powers on by itself (only when it's not connected to the AC adapter). Could it be a short in the cable? Or could it be that my Motherboard is faulty. Right now, I have to turn it on by inserting the AC. It works as a provisional solution. 

1 Message

October 5th, 2019 09:00

My warranty just expired few weeks back and dell has pushed few driver updates on my inspiron 7567. Updated it today and the laptop doesnt ever shut down!!

Unsure what to do!!

October 5th, 2019 15:00

START >> Type in: Power >> Choose: "Power & Sleep Settings"

Power & Sleep SettingsPower & Sleep Settings

On the right hand side, click "Additional Power Settings"

Choose or customize a power planChoose or customize a power plan

On the left, click, "Choose what the power buttons do"

Define Power ButtonsDefine Power Buttons

Through those three screen, choose the settings that you would like to have.

3 Posts

May 18th, 2020 14:00

Hey, I'm facing the exact same problem as you, and I didn't split water on my laptop.

If the charger is plugged in , I'm able to turn off but I can't turn it on.

If the charger is unplugged, I'm able to turn it on, but when I try to turn it off it keeps turning on alone. 

What I already tried:

Run dell diagnostic program, didn't fix anything.

Re install windows, 

Update the BIOS to the latest version. 

Update Windows to the lastest version. 

Any suggestion is very appreciated, thank you!

1 Message

September 7th, 2020 01:00

Hi,

My Laptop is "Inspiron 15 Gaming 7567" running "Windows 10 Home". Warranty got over 1.5 years ago.

Iam facing exactly the same issue with the same observations and same behavior as mentioned in Initial post.

"When the charger is plugged in, I can shut down the laptop, but I cannot turn it back on when I press the power button. The only way to power it on is to actually disconnect the charger, then it turns on a few seconds later.

When the charger is not plugged in, if I try to shut it down or hibernate, around 15 seconds after shutdown the PC will turn back on.

Putting the laptop into sleep mode is OK and it will not wake up on its own, but the only way to wake it up is by closing down the screen and opening it up again (the power button doesn't work).

Holding down the power button for 10, 20, 30 seconds or whatever will not shut it down, regardless if the charger is plugged in or not."

I removed the CMOS and Laptop Battery and kept the laptop idle for more than an hour. Formatted HDD and Reinstalled Windows OS ( Windows 10 Home ). Updated to Latest Nvidia/ Dell / Intel Drivers. Still Issue Persists.

Has anyone found a solution for this Issue ?

Thanks and Regards,

Sanjay

2 Posts

October 30th, 2020 11:00

Also having the exact same issue after the extended warranty ran out, and after a BIOS update. I strongly suspect the BIOS update was the cause. This week, I found another BIOS update was available and hopes it would fix it, but it hasn't. Does anyone know if there is a way to roll back to two updates ago?

2 Posts

March 5th, 2021 03:00

"Conveniently", I started having the same exact issue everyone else is stating here right after my extended warranty ran out as well. Attempts to roll back the BIOS update (which I KNOW caused this issue) fails, stating that the BIOS cannot be rolled back. I had a tech look at the physical button, and confirmed the button actually works fine, so it is for certain the BIOS update. The fact that this seems to have happened to everyone else right after the warranty runs out seems very sketchy to me. This will be the last purchase I ever make from Dell.

1 Message

March 16th, 2021 09:00

exactly the same Ditto problem on the same lappy, 

May 7th, 2021 05:00

This is basically what happens to everyone. I'm almost certain it is a BIOS problem, but rolling back now is not an option, since it is now blocked by Dell. I suppose a BIOS hack could solve this, but I haven't found one, and it's also too dangerous.
No Events found!