Highlighted
2 Bronze

Inspiron 15 AMD dell graphics card driver outdated

Jump to solution

Hi.

I play world of Warcraft, and have a Dell Inspiron gaming with the AMD R5 integrated and the RX560 dedicated. I"ve had it for a few months.

Upon the prepatch, I, like many others, got a message that my driver was outdated. Seeing as how Dell didn't have a more recent driver, I got the latest from AMD. The game will not run with the Feb 12 2018 AMD Dell driver for anyone. It also will not run with an AMD driver that old. 

The issue is that neither wow nor windows see the Rx560 now. 

I can see the RX560 in device manager, and when I launch Bnet or Wow, it shows up in adrenaline, but wow isn't actually using it.

I have everything set to high performance, I turned off the power saver in the BIOS, I have tried to assign the RX560 to wow in Windows, but it only gives me the option of R5. Wow also only sees R5 in the graphic settings. In my dxdiag, you can see the RX560 in system devices.

Dell wants $129 from me to "diagnose" their old driver being too old, despite the machine being under warranty and the problem is already obvious... I'm using a retail driver because theirs won't even launch the game. With the AMD driver, at least I can play with horrible FPS.

Anyone have a work-around or know when we can get a decent driver for the rx560? 

I have 6 dells in this house... after this, I don't know if I will have another... and I HATE to be that person.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: Inspiron 15 AMD dell graphics card driver outdated

Jump to solution

No, it isn't confirmed. Support ASSUMED that --- but they were also wrong about the drivers --- and I'm not so sure about that myself. I ran the support assist hardware scan, and while it didn't find any problems, it also didn't recognize that I have a Rx560. I'm plugged in, and your program can't see the physical card. 

Again, it is listed in device manager. It is shown in your branded AMD driver software. It is not being seen by Windows graphics settings, by support assist, or by games... and while it exists in task manager, it never shows as being used. 

And yes, I was plugged in when I ran it.

dell scan.jpg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

According to Blizz, you can click through the prompt and still play the game. I get the same message with my Vega 8 since newer drivers have not been released yet. And I am still able to play by clicking through it. Check this thread on the Blizz forum.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20765907229?page=4

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built with MSI B450-A Pro Max with Ryzen 7 2700X
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575 and Latitude E5430
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

TY for the reply.

Problem is, even with getting that Dell driver reinstalled, which I did today, wow still won't see the 560. 

Windows can see the 560 in device manager, but not in graphic settings. I tried to set Wow.exe and wow launcher both to the 560 in windows itself, and my only option for high performance is the R5. I also tried a few other apps like chrome, and nope... no option to use the RX560 

All my power settings are high performance, I always plug in when I play. 

But, it isn't the card, because it is in device manager, it is listed in the dxdiag in system devices, and it is shown in the Dell AMD settings software. 

Real headscratcher here, but I would like for the graphics to switch.  

Blizz says it is Dell's issue, as you can see multiple people with similar systems are having the same problem... but Dell wants me to pay to fix their issue, when they already told this dude, "I don't know". 

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20769008645?page=2

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

Have you downloaded the newest AMD driver 18.10.1? I believe they are for your RX560. Also AMD Adrenalin software should have a setting under system I believe which is switchable graphics. In that tab you can specify high performance and which program should run under high performance such as wow.exe. I had that setting in my old Latitude which had switchable. I used it to specify my AMD dedicated GPU.

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thank you for your message. As you confirmed this isn’t a hardware issue & is something to do with the application or drivers. This will be a paid support unless you have a premium warranty which covers software issues as this will be considered as a software issue.

What is the status of the graphics card & driver when you check this on Dell Support Assist?

Please uninstall the drivers & then update to the latest driver using Dell Support Assist.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

Click here to find the service tag -  https://dell.to/2xXUCUW

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

No, it isn't confirmed. Support ASSUMED that --- but they were also wrong about the drivers --- and I'm not so sure about that myself. I ran the support assist hardware scan, and while it didn't find any problems, it also didn't recognize that I have a Rx560. I'm plugged in, and your program can't see the physical card. 

Again, it is listed in device manager. It is shown in your branded AMD driver software. It is not being seen by Windows graphics settings, by support assist, or by games... and while it exists in task manager, it never shows as being used. 

And yes, I was plugged in when I ran it.

dell scan.jpg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

One -- if it is a software issue, tell me what it is and I'll fix it. I'm capable. I purchased this laptop in April of 2018. It is only 6 months old. 

OF COURSE I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. Dell support tried to tell me that it was because I used the AMD retail drivers and not the Bristol Ridge one. Dell Support assist applies an old driver, so I downloaded the recommended AMD driver from this site when talking to them. That was why I misspoke on the original post on this thread. 

But, I have since have completely uninstalled and reinstalled AGAIN using the dell bristol ridge installer that was recommended for my system on this site, and subsequently updated to the latest driver.

Originally, I thought maybe Dell support was being honest that it was the retail driver from AMD that I had been using. Now, in the retail adrenaline, you can update right from the software settings. In the dell version, you have to actually run the installer AGAIN after installing in order to update. 

When I asked Dell if the latest AMD driver was available the other day before I posted, I was told no by support, it wasn't available and they didn't know when it would be and that there is no one I can ask... but you CAN get it by running the Dell installer a second time, which is something I figured out on my own. It ONLY does NOT work on support assist... THAT was what was outdated. Downloading the driver from Dell individually, installing, and then running the installed a second time to update to the latest works fine.

But CLEARLY neither the old driver nor the retail drivers were the issue, and yet Dell is still walking the "this is software" line. Yet, neither the retail nor the dell driver make a difference.

As you can see, RX 560 is installed. You can see it in adrenaline and in device manager. However, dxdiag sees it as a device rather than a graphics card, windows doesn't recognize it as you can see, and neither does the game.

Glad I didn't spend $129 to get nowhere. I still won't. Not when I have a 6 month old machine I've hardly used. 

In any case, here's the deal:

Image 1: GPU settings show R560 is installed.

Image 2: Device Manager shows R560 is installed

Image 3: Windows graphics settings does not recognize R560 as an option

Image 4: Wow doesn't see R560

Image 5: GPU settings show it is trying to use the R560

R560 is NOT running in task manager when game is open

Direct X sees R560 as a System Device, NOT a GPU. I'd post my dxdiag but it is too long.

What else would you like to see? 

adrenaline.jpgdevicemanager.jpgwindowsgraphics.jpgwow.jpgwowshowingrx560adrenaline.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I have...

Uninstalled completely and reinstalled the drivers (several times, actually, most recently with the DDU tool). 

I've tried both the AMD drivers and the ones provided by Dell

I've run support assist

I've updated the BIOS driver.

I've turned off the power express in the BIOS

I've turned all my settings in Windows 10 to High performance.

Yes, I have it plugged in when I try to launch it. 

As you all can see, Dell is calling this a "software" issue so they can charge me $129. Sounds like a racket to me.

AMD thinks it COULD be a hardware issue and would like me to test the card in another machine, but unfortunately I don't have one with a compatible motherboard, as the other new laptop is with my daughter at college, AND I don't want to screw up my hardware warranty. 

Is there a place in the current Dell BIOS to disable the R5 so I can test that? I poked around and didn't see it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

Check the following site at Blizz. This has been an ongoing problem everytime they have a patch. If you do a search on their forums you will see what I mean.

https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17622482634

Also did you try to add the wow.exe file in Radeon Switchable graphics? And the Dell drivers are simply not new enough from what I am seeing. You need Adrenalin 18.7.1 or newer.

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hi...

I did blame Blizz at first. I ALWAYS blame Blizzard first. I argued with them in the forums for weeks. For once... and it isn't usual... this isn't Blizz. I even posted here some time ago when I thought it was Blizz. 

However, as shown in the screenshots, even windows isn't recognizing the card. 

As mentioned above, you can run the installer from Dell to update. I'm at 18.10.1.

I added wow.exe to adrenaline, yes, as shown in the screenshot. I am unable to add it in windows graphics, as shown in the screenshot. 

Please read the posts, I offer all that information.

Any other ideas? 

To Clarify...

I have used the DDU tool to clean up to do a complete uninstall using a different link to it that AMD recommended.

I currently am using the Dell driver installer. When you install it, it does install 17. Wow WILL run on 17, but it still doesn't see the Rx560. Once you have 17 installed, when you launch the Dell driver installer again, you do get the option to update. It will indeed update to 18.10.1 optional. If you use support assist, THAT is when they reinstall the older driver.

I do game plugged in.

I did disable power express. 

I have the most recent Dell BIOS driver.

Why would Windows not see the Rx560 in graphics settings? 

Why would the card be listed in the system devices in the dxdiag? 

Are there any command prompts to see why/how DirectX is seeing the Rx560? 

I'm sure there is something I haven't tried. Yet, if it is in the documentation for the cards, on forums, etc, over the last few months I have tried it. 

I'd like to know where the graphics settings are in the most recent Dell BIOS driver, though. I think they screw you by not allowing you to change it, call it a software issue, and then charge you to fix a problem on their end. 

Thoughts?

0 Kudos