Highlighted
2 Bronze

Inspiron 15 Extremely Slow

My laptop is extremely slow.  I just reloaded the OS (windows  10) and it  made no difference.  I noticed  something odd in  that  when  I  look in Task manager  on the  Performance  tab, the CPU is only 23% utilized AND the clock speed is ONLY 0.5GHz as shown with the utilization  percentage. The advertised clock rate is 2.16 GHz which does  show  up in the Properties tab as well as in Task  manager  (as part of the header).  It  seems like my CPU  usage is  stuck at 23%.  I have only seen it move down to 22% on occasion and never up.   

As an example, I used the  Detect  This  PC option on the Dell Support website and it took over 10 minutes for it to respond.

IT appears  that my laptop is only running at 0.5GHz.  The slowness  of the pc  would  tend to support such  a slow  speed.  For the  record, the slowness is in everything from opening Windows  Explorer to  browsing any website.  I changed  the  Power Plan to High Performance but  it made no difference.  The  laptop has 4G of  RAM.   Does anyone know why my pc is only utilizing 1/4 of the clock speed?

Labels (1)
(1)
5 Replies
Highlighted
4 Ruthenium

Re: Inspiron 15 Extremely Slow

If this laptop is brand new, it is probably downloading and installing Windows 10 updates.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Thanks for your reponse.  the laptop is definitely not downloading anything.

Highlighted
4 Ruthenium

Return it for a refund.

Highlighted
5 Iridium

" As an example, I used the Detect This PC option on the Dell Support website and it took over 10 minutes for it to respond "

--------------------------------

10 minutes is a very long time. You were able get into your Dell Product Support page and downloaded / installed any drivers onto the system ? Is the computer brand new ( per nyc10036)?  What is the exact Dell model number and version of windows? Example: Dell Inspiron 3543 windows 10. If you don't know, type msinfo32 onto search box, stroll down System Model, you should see it now. Lastly, boot into safe mode to see if computer is lagging or going slow. 

Using safe mode to troubleshoot problems on your Windows 10 PC

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Thanks for your reply.  It is an  Inspiron 15 3531. Win 10 Pro (most current version).  The laptop is about 5 years old.  I don't know if it EVER ran better than it does now.  It was given to me by a friend.   Safe mode made no difference.  I also made  sure that the Page File memory was large enough (set per MS recommended size).  

Does anyone know if there is a way to increase the  performance/clock speed?