Bluemunoz
1 Copper

Inspiron 1525

I have a working Inspiron 1525 that is running Vista Pro which is no longer supported. Acknowledging that the 1525 is old it works fine for my purposes. Not having the funds to upgrade, I was wondering if I should attempt to upgrade the OS to Win7. Has anyone ever had any success running an Inspiron 1525 with Win7 OS?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
HyperPete
1 Copper

Re: Inspiron 1525

Depending on what you want and need to use the laptop for, I heartily recommend the following: http://www.lxle.net/ I have just set this up on an Inspiron 1525, and it runs very fast. Use Rufus to flash the ISO to a thumb drive to install.
0 Kudos
CB10
1 Copper

I am currently running Windows 10 Pro purchased off eBay for less than $10. Simple to install and seems to work fine for the week or so that I've used it. I have also upgraded the hard drive to an SSD, and I believe that makes a HUGE difference. I purchased that for $20 off Amazon. I also tried Neverware to turn it into a Chromebook and that worked pretty good too, but I am just more comfortable with Windows so I switched. I don't know that I'd bother with Win 7. 

If you really look at the specs on Chromebooks, they're not much better than our old Inspiron 1525

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HyperPete
1 Copper

@CB10 wrote:

I am currently running Windows 10 Pro purchased off eBay for less than $10.

Good luck with that.  The license may work today, but for $10, my bet is that it's not a real license, and won't work down the road.

Read this:  

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3zkmtf/psa_dont_buy_windows_10_keys_go_to_ebay_and_bu...

0 Kudos
CB10
1 Copper

That may or may not be the case, and for the $5.90 I spent, I'll be okay if it doesn't work later. There are ways to sell Windows keys that remain valid depending on how you acquired them. Corporate licenses for one. I'll update if it becomes invalid. 

0 Kudos
HyperPete
1 Copper

Personally, I would rather use Linux legally than Windows illegally.  My two cents, YMMV.