Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 11th, 2021 07:00

Inspiron 15R 5537 - Upgrade

How would one go about upgrading the motherboard/cpu/gpu? I am mainly looking to upgrade the gpu to have some basic gaming functionality but have been made aware I would need to replace the rest of it. Any tips or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

10 Elder

• 

23K Posts

May 11th, 2021 08:00

Your upgrade options in all areas will be very limited.  Both the CPU and GPU are soldered onto the board, so the only upgrade is a replacement mainboard with the upgraded CPU -- and possibly GPU -- aboard.  

Note:  to upgrade from integrated Intel to an AMD Radeon 8xxx GPU, you will also need to replace the heatsink assembly and the AC adapter, which will add to the cost.  Since the boards aren't inexpensive as you get toward an i7 CPU and Radeon GPU, carefully balance the cost of the parts against the value of the system -- the system is about eight years old and therefore not worth much more than $100-150 even when it's working.  A new(er) system is likely a better idea.

Boards:

https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=category&id=141&subid=440&refine=motherboard

2 Posts

May 11th, 2021 08:00

I am out of the warranty period so that is not an issue

7 Posts

December 9th, 2021 05:00

I realize this thread is getting old, but I hope this may provide some perspective.  I was never really satisfied with the 15R-5537 Inspiron laptop.  It was an inexpensive purchase from CostCo when my previous Inspiron died after many years of excellent service.

I decided to upgrade the memory from 8GB to 16GB, which saw a noticeable improvement in performance.  I also replaced the hard drive with a 1TB SSD from Crucial.  Both upgrades really improve the old Laptop's performance.

Now I'm pondering if I want to replace the non-operational internal DVD drive, which hasn't worked for years.  I found a few available for sale on the Internet.

No Events found!