Highlighted
Superbius
1 Copper

Inspiron 15z 5523 Critical failure

System is a couple years old. 

Failed and dead battery. Always on charger. Windows 10 OS

Booting up, something happened and upon reboot, system wanted to recache the hard drive. Did this for one whole day, no progress, so I hard reset. 

Now system cannot detect the internal hard drive, and cannot boot. BIOS detects both C and D, says video card and battery fail test. 

No recovery material, at this point I would like to integrate it into a computer cluster or reload Windows 10, but it never had a Windows 10 key because of free OS update. 

Could replace the battery, but issue is hard drive, and whether or not that needs to be replaced. What can I do with laptop if that is too expensive?

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
ejn63
4 Ruthenium

Re: Inspiron 15z 5523 Critical failure

If the system doesn't detect the drive, unplug, remove or disconnect the battery and hold the power button for 30 sec.  Remove the base cover and hard drive;  reconnect the drive. Power on, press F2 and check to see if the drive is detected.  If it is, restart, press F12 and boot to the Dell diagnostics.  Run an extended test on the hard drive.  If it fails -- or if it's not detected, it'll need to be replaced.  Hard drives -- even solid state drives - are available at or under the $100 price point.

Windows 10 is digitally connected to the system if it's been activated.  You can get Windows 10 by ISO from MIcrosoft and it'll activate when you go online.

However, if the GPU and battery have both failed, you're looking at a total of far more than the system is worth to repair the system -- if the GPU fails, the mainboard needs replacement.  Multiple failures mean it's time to shop for a replacement system.

0 Kudos