Highlighted
AmgedIsmail
2 Iron

Inspiron 15z making sound?

Hello,

About 4 years having my DELL Inspiron 15z now.

I have been recently hearing noisy sound coming out from the hardware, I doubt in the fan?

I hear it loud especially immediately after I turn on my laptop.

Where could this sound come from? The CPU Fan? or Harddrive?

I asked a computer assistant here in Egypt and he told me maybe a wire moved inside the laptop..

Is this possible?

I know that Egyptian technicians are not that good. Egypt is very poor in understanding because I had my mobile phone (Xioami Note 5A Redmi) stolen from my pocket after 2 weeks of purchase.

Listen to the sound when it starts and when it stops!!

https://clyp.it/eoicboyg

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ejn63
4 Ruthenium

Re: Inspiron 15z making sound?

Disconnect the hard drive.  If the noise ceases, it's the drive.  More likely, it won't - in which case, it's the fan -- you'll need to replace it.

0 Kudos
AmgedIsmail
2 Iron

Thanks for your reply.

Can the fan be cleaned or repaired?

And why does the fan produce this sound someday?

0 Kudos
ejn63
4 Ruthenium

If there's dust accumulated, clean it -- if that solves the problem, you're set.  If not, no - there's no repair;  the fan will need to be replaced (probably along with the heatsink, as it's usually a single assembly).

0 Kudos
AmgedIsmail
2 Iron

Thanks again.

I just wonder... Is the dust accumulated the cause of this noisy sound? But if you say that if cleaning it will not solve the problem, so what else could be the cause of the noisy sound coming from the fan? Is it a life-span end for the fan? whatever if there isn't even something wrong with it?

And do all the laptops have this same issue? The fan dies after 4-5 years?

0 Kudos
ejn63
4 Ruthenium

Try cleaning first.  If that doesn't solve the problem, the bearings are failing.  Fans do have finite lifespans - as do notebooks.  Three years is the design life of a notebook - anything beyond that is where hardware failures start to become more common, so there's nothing here that's unusual, particularly if the fan turns out to be caked with dust - spinning the unbalanced, extra mass will do the bearings no good.

0 Kudos