Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

1 Message

February 25th, 2019 17:00

Inspiron 17 5000 very slow

I bought the Inspiron laptop at the end of October 2018. I didn't get to install anything until the end of November 2018. When I did I noted that everything was slow and I would get blank screens when trying to get to pages on the internet more often than I got to regular pages. 

The laptop has been back to Dell twice now and been reinstalled to delivered 2 or 3 times. They have replaced the motherboard and the hard drive (no idea why they replaced the hard drive). It is still slow when connecting to the internet. I have 200+ download here and other laptops and computers get more than 100 mbps download on the wifi and my Alienware gets a blazing 235 mbps download when connected to the ethernet. 

Support is telling me that the ethernet connection on the laptop will never be the fastest connection and that I should use the 5G because it has a much better wifi card. Problem is I am only getting 65-75 mbps on the wifi and I get 89 mbps with the ethernet. So if the wifi card should get better speed why am I not seeing that? At this point I'd be happy if either one got to 100 mbps on my 200 mbps network. 

I bought the laptop because it has a AMD Raedon graphics card with 4GB ram but I really need it to connect to the internet decently as well. 

Is there any hope? Any ideas anyone? Or did I just spend a lot of money I can't afford to lose on a glorified doorstop?

151 Posts

February 26th, 2019 01:00

Do you know that ethernet connector only support 100Mb and NO 1Gb network, that why you only get 89Mb.....

I bought a USB-C adapter with 1Gb ethernet and have a fast and stable ethernet again.

1 Rookie

• 

36 Posts

February 4th, 2020 08:00

I have the same problem. My Wifi is even slower than yours.

I have now spent weeks trying to find the cause.

I think the problem is with the Qualcomm QCA9377 802.11ac wireless adapter.
I have pinned down the start of my problems to the moment Windows 1903 was installed.

At that time Dell Update proposed an update for the Qualcomm driver. I installed this update. I am now on 12.0.0.916.

I now stumbled on this article:https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-fixes-windows-10-qualcomm-wi-fi-driver-upd...

This is my 5th Dell. I used to take the extended warranty but not ever having needed it I only took the 1 year warranty on this one. The laptop is from 9/2018.

Dell will not help me any further.

I am looking for other people here with same Dell to see if they have the same problems.

1 Rookie

• 

36 Posts

February 4th, 2020 08:00

@The Adder- I guess buying an USB adapter will be the simplest solution.

1 Rookie

• 

36 Posts

February 8th, 2020 10:00

I posted this elsewhere in the forum here - maybe it can help someone with slow Wifi issues:

In my post from Feb 1rst I said that Wifi was up to 100Mbps after uninstalling Smartbyte.
It went down to 20 later.

I then tried returning to the old Qualcom driver (12.0.0.709) - which I found not through the help of Dell Cares support   but in another forum.
Nothing bad happened to my laptop but it did not solve the issue.

So I decided to buy a Wifi USB stick which was a lot cheaper than contact paying Dell support.
With this 25€ stick speeds went up to 220Mbps.

But then someone told me she was having the same issue on an HP laptop also on Windows 1903.
So I googled slow wifi Windows 1903 and found this article:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/very-slow-wifi-after-recent-windows-1903-updat...

I decided to try these solutions and removed my Wifi USB.
First checked my Wifi speed again. It is still over 200Mbps.
In the Microsoft article they describe ways to reset your network.
I think installing the USB stick did this on my PC.

If someone else has slow wifi issues maybe look at the Microsoft article.

No Events found!