mws2000
2 Bronze

Inspiron 17 7779 SSD - NVMe?

I have just bought an NVMe SSD drive, thinking it would work as the second HDD in my laptop. I had looked up compatibility and annoyingly bought the wrong one.

I've got the Samsung NVMe SSD 960 Pro M.2

I've read the other posts and seen that I should have bought a PCIe SSD, such as the Samsung EVO.  But now I've got the NVMe SSD, is there any way to make it work?!

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ejn63
7 Gold

Re: Inspiron 17 7779 SSD - NVMe?

Not in the **79 models.  These take only SATA drives.   You'll need to return the NVMe drive and order an M.2 SATA drive.

0 Kudos
mws2000
2 Bronze

OK thanks. It's on its way back

0 Kudos
jphughan
7 Gold

When it comes to SSDs, NVMe and PCIe are two different names for the same thing.  The Samsung 960 models, both Pro and Evo, are PCIe/NVMe.  If your system doesn't support that, then you'll need to find an M.2 SATA SSD instead, which will be significantly slower.  The main difference between the Samsung Pro and Evo models is the design of the flash chips themselves.  The Pro flash chips have longer write endurance, and the design that creates that longer endurance also allows them to be slightly faster on writes, but unless this system will be writing very heavily to the SSD 24/7 for years, then the endurance difference won't matter to you, and the increased write speed probably won't either.  You can save a lot of money going with an Evo instead, whether you buy a PCIe/NVMe or SATA model.

mws2000
2 Bronze

Thanks and that's very helpful

0 Kudos