TJSchocke
1 Copper

Inspiron 17 HD failure after BIOS update Dell recommends

I purchased my system in February, 2017.  I've had a few issues with my laptop during the warranty period but nothing major to disrupt my usage.  Just here recently, I was looking over and running diagnostics and clean up on my laptop.  I check your website for up to date drivers that might have been missed.  There was also a Windows update that needed installed.  When all that was complete, I attempted to update my BIOS per your information on your website:

******Support for Microprocessor Side-Channel Vulnerabilities*********
Dell is investigating new vulnerabilities affecting many modern microprocessors used in Dell products. Visit www.dell.com/support/speculative-store-bypass for more information on affected products and next steps.

Followed your directions, updated as told, and when the laptop went to reboot, diagnostics came up and said there was a HD failure.  So I powered it down and tried again, diagnostics came up once again and said there no HD found.

So with a laptop less than 2 years old, a warranty that just ended less than 6 mths ago, I now have a very expensive Dell Inspiron Laptop 17 that I can't use right now.

If I send it in to have you repair it, will the operating system and all originally installed software be on the new HD?

If I purchase the HD outright, how do I go about getting all the software that originally came with it back on the new HD?

I would also like to know if I'm the only one who had this problem with the BIOS update!!  I'm doing what you are recommending and it burned up my HD. 

This is my second Dell laptop in about 9 years.  My previous one had an issue with the HD while under warranty, it was replaced and I had no more problems with it until the fan went on it February, 2017.  That's when I ordered this one.  Considering that my laptop was not actively used on a regular basis, that it is less than 2 years old and has a HD driver failure because of a Dell update, I don't think there will be a future Dell purchase after this one.  

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ejn63
4 Ruthenium

Re: Inspiron 17 HD failure after BIOS update Dell recommends

Before going further, power up, press F12 a few times, and boot into the Dell diagnostics.  Let the tests run (10-15 min).  Then boot to the full diagnostics and run an extended test on the drive.  What is the exact numeric error code (2000-0142, etc.)?

0 Kudos
TJSchocke
1 Copper

I did do that twice, first time it told me that there was damage to my HD, imminent failure.  The second time I ran it, no HD located.  I followed Dell's instructions in regards to releasing all power, i.e. removed battery, etc.  When I turned it back on, it went to diagnostic and and said that there was no HD located.  I was not currently having any problems with it, outside of running slow, until I updated the BIOS per Dell's instructions.  The error code I got on the first diagnostic was 2000-0142, which is HD failure.  So where do I go from here?

0 Kudos
ejn63
4 Ruthenium

The hard drive failure would have occurred irrespective of the BIOS update -- you're lucky the drive didn't fail in the middle of the update.  That might have rendered the system unbootable.

Replace the drive.  If the system is Windows 10, you can download the image for the system from Dell and put it on a flash drive -- then use it to reload the factory configuration once the drive is replaced.

0 Kudos
TJSchocke
1 Copper

FYI, it was working fine until the update.  So based on your comment, the HD was bad prior to the BIOS update.  Can you prove that?  System is pretty much unbootable at this point.  It wasn't until AFTER the BIOS update that I started having problems with the Hard Drive.  Like I said, after BIOS updated, the first time it restarted it said HD error, the second time it said no HD found.  Until I updated the BIOS, I was NOT having any problems except for it running slow, but my internet provider was working on a solution.  The internet was the reason it was slow, not the laptop.  This laptop was purchased in February, 2017.  There is NO REASON for that HD to fail now, use of the laptop was minimal since we have iPads and iPhones.  I'm looking into data recovery right now, there is a lot of information on that HD that needs to be recovered including extremely old photos.  Does Dell offer that service?  Because of a Dell update, I now require that service, and hoping that most of my data can be recovered.  I would also like an explanation on why my HD crashed this soon.  Do they not last longer than 2 years?  If so, you might want to put that in the specs for future machines!!  Since it's been less than 2 years, can I at least get some sort of discount through Dell for repair and replacement??

0 Kudos
ejn63
4 Ruthenium

Hard drives are designed to last for five years.  Some make it much longer, some make it much less - like any other manufactured product.  If the drive still spins and is recognized, you can look at the SMART log stored on it - what you'll likely see is errors that point to an impending failure, and those for a while - they don't trip a warning until a threshold is achieved, and yes - drives can go quickly.  One good bump to a spinning drive in a system can take out a drive in an instant.

Dell has a parnership with Gillware for data recovery.  This is not covered by any warranty - no manufacturer of computer systems will warrant against data loss.   The data probably can be recovered - that said, expect the cost to start around $600 for a basic service, and it can easily reach four figures depending on the volume of data and what's wrong with the drive that needs repair and recovery.

Any storage device can fail at any time - doesn't matter if it's a spinning hard drive or a solid state drive.  While two years is an early failure, there's the unpredictability of anything used in everyday life -- you can have the best warranty in the world on your car, and it won't cover the replacement of a door that's hit by your neighbor's kids batting practice.

0 Kudos
akaBrasco
1 Copper

I just had the same thing happen to me. I also just fixed it. After the Dell update, the bios reconfigured the drives to look up to boot from. For some reason it was pointed to one that didn’t exist. Hit F2 to go into bios when it begins to start up after hitting the power button. Go to “Drives”. Mine showed two drives that were both check marked. One was my actual hard drive , the other 🤷‍♂️. Uncheck the one that doesn’t have have anything related to it. Save the changes and exit and you should be good. I hope you didn’t spend anymore money on a new hard drive.
0 Kudos