Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

4 Posts

October 24th, 2018 13:00

Inspiron 17R SE 7720 won’t boot

Hello, As an introduction, I had trouble installing the intel HD 4000 drivers for my laptop with Windows 10 and Windows 8,1. So, as I was told, I tried updating the bios of my laptop, I couldn’t do this, I was receiving the “can’t read bios from rom” and “command line error” messages when trying to update with the phoenix sct flashforwards utility, so I tried reseating the CMOS battery as this is a possible solution to the BIOS update problem, this just made my problem worse. Now I have the problem of the no boot and no screen at all. First, after reseating the CMOS battery I heard a 5 beeps loop indicating a failure with the CMOS battery, so I extracted the ram’s and get 4 beeps when turning on, indicating RAM failure. When reseating the RAM, no beeps at all, no screen, no fan (if gpu were bad, the fan should still work) and just turns off when pushing power button again. Already tried with just one ram at a time, tried both installing in different sockets. Tried hdmi and vga video out ports. Tried removing CMOS battery and pushing start button for 30 seconds to conpletely drain power. Tried unplugging the cpu, and hard drive and reseating them. I noticed that the power led keeps on while computer is “on”, the same with the keyboard light and the power button light. And that hdd led turns on for a second flashes for another and turns off (this may indicate that motherboard is okay?), the same with the dell quickset buttons. Thank you very much for reading and for any help you could give me.

10 Elder

• 

23K Posts

October 24th, 2018 15:00

From the description, it's just about 100% certainly a faulty system board.

4 Posts

October 24th, 2018 21:00

Thank you for answering.
If the motherboard were fried, shouldn’t the power and hard drive leds on laptop case stay off at all?

The power led turns on and remains like that until I press the power button for second time.
The hard drive led turns on for a second, blinks quickly for another second, and finally turns off slowly like if it were a power failure. As I said, the power led and the keyboard and dell’s quickset backlights stay on until I “turn off” the laptop.

Again, thank you for answering.

10 Elder

• 

23K Posts

October 25th, 2018 03:00

Not necessarily - there are many possible faults that can lead to a no-boot, and they don't necessarily mean no power is getting to the board at all.

If you've tried a reset (unplug, remove battery and hold the power button 30 sec;  reconnect the adapter and try to boot without the battery) already to no effect, the mainboard is bad.

4 Posts

October 26th, 2018 13:00

Thank you again for answering, I got new news, just in case I reseated the processor and tried booting without any other cards or peripherals. And I got two short beeps, indicating RAM not detected. So I guess motherboard is not fried, although When I connected RAM, there were no beeps nor screen image. Thank you for helping.

10 Elder

• 

23K Posts

October 26th, 2018 13:00

If you have two modules, try one at a time.  If one works in either socket but the other doesn't work in either, the module is bad.

If both modules fail in one socket, the socket is bad.  You can either live with one module or replace the mainboard.

If neither module works in either socket, the mainboard is bad.

1 Message

July 26th, 2020 18:00

Hi Gerard568,

i have same issue with my laptop Inspiron 17R SE 7720 3D Vision, i update windows 10 & after update finished, laptop restart & it goes direct to boot menu instead boot to windows, i thought it might be bad windows update so i restart it laptop with alt-ctrl-del & after restart it goes black screen and behaving same as you mention, i tired everything but none working, my laptop fan working & it keep on, in start it was not working but later after few time restart laptop it start working & now it keep on all the time once i hit power button,

have you found solution? is that MB bad?

13 Posts

September 25th, 2020 04:00

I've had the same today,

I've tried all of the above with the exception of re-seating the ram, i tried it in its orignal slots one at a time. Will try both modules in both slots next, and the taking out the CMOS battery and reseating processor

its wierd. Turn on, the lights on the buttons on the right of my keyboard go through a sequence, screen turns on, battery light on, but fan doesn't spin and I can't get to bios.

Loved this laptop, upgraded it over the years to SSD, new battery, better network card, bluray drive. Would be gutted if it died as for an everyday workhorse its still good enough even at nearly 8 years old...

No Events found!