Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

22 Posts

October 11th, 2018 19:00

Inspiron 20 M 3048 All In One blinking solid colors?

Hi,

I am servicing a customers Dell All In One Inspiron 20 Model 3048 that is stuck on cycling through the color spectrum.

I have tried the advice from this YouTube video with no results. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWugyoWqjqA

In fact now when turned on the screen is staying blank.

Does anyone know of a way to get this resolved?

Thanks,

John

1 Rookie

• 

22 Posts

November 21st, 2018 16:00

Got it, found the sloution!!!

It appearently was the onboard battery. Since I replaced it it now works just fine, no issue.

Stupid me for haven taken that long to even think of it being the onbaord battery!

Now I am happy that it is at least fixed! :-)

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 12th, 2018 06:00

Blinking solid colors usually indicate an issue with the graphic ( video) card. If you haven't done so yet, power off system, remove power cord from wall socket or power strip surge protector, and wait about 5 minutes. Replace power cord into wall socket, power on system, hopefully computer display works normally.

If you already tried the step above, please check if you're able to run the diagnostic tool on the system by following the steps below:

1. Power off the system.

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping the F12 key continuously until you see Preparing one time boot menu in the top right corner of the screen. In Dell Preboot menu, select Diagnostic. After quick tests, select Video Card, and then click Thorough Test Mode. Report back any error code. 

If Dell Preboot screen doesn't appears, try the steps in the link below to see if you're able to run LCD built-in self test (BIST).

How to Run Diagnostic Test on a Dell Laptop LCD? | Dell US

If all troubleshooting steps failed, connect an external monitor to computer to see if windows appears.

1 Rookie

• 

22 Posts

October 12th, 2018 23:00

Thanks for the suggestions, however after trying them I still get no response.

Pressing F12 or D didn't bring up anything.

The cycling colors also only occurs when I press the top 3rd button above the power button. Otherwise, when I turn it on nothing occurs.

I also opened it up to see if there was an overheating problem and there was some dust but not enough to cause overheating. I did clean it though.

I take it that the video is in the CPU since I didn't find a seperate video card.

So, what else might be the issue here?

I also tried attaching a different monitor source with the HDMI portal and there was nothing there too. However, that could be because a second monitor may have to be enabled through the OS.

So, I'm at a loss as to what is causing this and how to fix it?

1 Message

February 28th, 2019 13:00

I am having this same exact problem. Is your computer a laptop or desktop? I'm afraid I have no idea what model I have except that it's a dell all in one desktop.

1 Message

April 25th, 2020 22:00

Hello.. 

What do you mean by onboard battery?is it cmos battery?please help me because i don't know what kind of onboard battery i need to buy. I'm facing the same problem with you.please help me.

1 Message

October 2nd, 2020 09:00

Mine is doing exactly the same thing!!! It does nothing when turned on unless I press the top button on the right side. Then it cycles through the colors. Can I just take it somewhere and tell them to replace the onboard battery? Is that really expensive? Thank you so very much!

No Events found!