Highlighted
2 Bronze

Inspiron 3138 battery won't charge

I've read all of the potential fixes for this problem and none of them work.  I would like to upgrade the BIOS but my battery is low and therefore the upgrade won't start??  Why is this?  Normally a device tells you to connect a power source just in case the battery would run out during the upgrade.  

Anyway, in BIOS it displays a 65w adapter and under advance it says my battery is in good health.  In the power section of Windows it says my battery charging is disabled?  Why?  Where do I change this?  I went through the disconnect of the battery and pressing of the power button.  Nothing that I have read makes a difference.  I've checked the voltage out of the adapter and it is 19.5 volts.  Where do I go from here?  And in general why is this such a monster problem for Dell?  Charging a battery is probably the simplest function in the computer and can be diagnosed with simple tracing equipment.  This should be resolved in a day by Dell?????

Where do I go from here? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
6 Indium

Re: Inspiron 3138 battery won't charge

If the system does recognize the adapter - but the battery won't charge, the battery is the first thing to replace.

If that doesn't solve the issue, it leaves the mainboard as the faulty part -- which is significantly more expensive to replace than the battery.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Couple of points.  First is this event happened right after the warranty ran out which is a year.  It stopped charging completely which is unusual for a battery to go dead all of a sudden.  Usually a battery will degrade over time and to the point where it won't accept a charge anymore.  

Second is given all of the similar comments I have read on on forums regarding this issue I don't believe all are battery problems but hardware/software problems.  For a message to appear that says "Battery charging disabled" to me says something set this parameter to this state.  At one point the Dell System Diagnostic tool wouldn't even recognize my PC model or service tag number.  One screen said I had warranty service until 2020 which is totally wrong.  Way too many odd things happening so I'm not jumping to the conclusion that this is a battery problem.  I've been through the replacement of cards with Dell on other issues only to find that didn't solve the problem.  This should be a no-brainer for Dell to solve and given all the reports of this issue by other users I'm at a loss as to why this hasn't been addressed already.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thank you for your message. I will be glad to look into this for you.

The battery charge has to be 10 % & above to flash the BIOS.

What is the status of the battery icon when you place the mouse cursor on the battery icon in the notification bar?

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

Dell-SreejithR
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Sorry but I don't see a message tab anywhere near my avatar??  My email is <Email id Removed>.  Send me an email so we can continue this in private as you requested.

Bob

0 Kudos