Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

2 Posts

April 12th, 2020 21:00

Inspiron 3451 ssd upgrade

Hi! I need help to all of you!

I have an Inspiron 3451. I've upgraded my unit's storage device from hdd to ssd. After installing the ssd, i set up bios settings (boot mode UEFI; secure boot disabled; sata mode AHCI), created Windows 10 x64 bootable USB (UEFI-GPT), and installed win10. After the install processs, my laptop just rebooted, but after rebooted it got stuck in the dell logo (i think it was the POST) and nothing happen next. I tried powering off and on but nothing happened. My ssd was good in condition and no errors and damage. The bios version is already updated (A07). Please help me :<

• 

25K Posts

April 13th, 2020 15:00

We tried reaching you on a private message but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

1.5K Posts

April 13th, 2020 15:00

Secure Boot should be turned on!

On boot up only have your OS SSD installed

Boot F12, then select your NEW SSD to boot from.

That should fix you, once you get into windows update all your hardware drivers with the ones supplied by Dell on your notebooks specific support page.

To get this information you need to log on to support, enter your model number and most importantly Enter your Service Tag Number. 

That will open all the hardware information on your Particular notebook, You should download and read your Service Manual there you will find out how to open your notebook

Once all drivers are installed reboot is all is working fine, shut down, reinstall any other drives you have removed. 

Boot to BIOS set your new SSD as the Boot manager drive to boot from.

Reboot all should be working.

2 Posts

April 14th, 2020 23:00

Hi! "Windows Boot Manager" is the only boot item listed in the boot list. But when I set my bios mode to legacy, the boot devices showed (diskette, hard drive, etc.)

3 Posts

March 18th, 2021 09:00

Did not see a resolution to this problem and I find myself with the exact same problem as above.  Cloned a new SSD from original HDD, installed in place of spinning disk, set SATA Operation to AHCI, Boot List Option to UEFI, Secure Boot disabled.  Get to POST and stops when status bar fills.  Will not go farther.  Tried with Secure Boot enabled and don't even get the status bar in POST.  Thoughts?

1.5K Posts

March 18th, 2021 12:00

Cloned a new SSD from original HDD, installed in place of spinning disk, set SATA Operation to AHCI?

This is your issue, You cloned your Hard Drive to your SSD. Remove the hard drive and boot up: you don't change anything in your BIOS as your SSD is a CLONE of your old hard drive

If your SSD is not found on the first try,  then boot to F12 and select your new SSD

If this doesn't work something went wrong with your Clone.

Do it again with Macrium Reflect Follow the video directions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LClr3FPg4_4&t=4s

If you wish to switch from RAID to AHCI you will have to Clean install your Windows you can't just change that setting

3 Posts

March 29th, 2021 06:00

Additional info:  I can connect the ssd via SATA to USB cable to my desktop and boot to the ssd, so I know the drive is bootable.  Just can't get my laptop to recognize the ssd.

3 Posts

March 29th, 2021 06:00

When I first cloned the hdd, I did just install the ssd and attempt to boot.  Faced the same problem - get to POST and then nothing.  Ran through Crucial's troubleshooting which led to replacing the ssd.  Did same process with new ssd and got same result.  That is when I started looking for solutions and saw recommendations to adjust BIOS settings.  Not sure where to go from here.  Looking at the boot options, I do not see an option for the ssd; only two instances of Windows Boot Manager.

If it helps,

Thanks

No Events found!