Highlighted
Mia19
1 Nickel

Inspiron 3520 audio not working

Hello,
I am in need of help. I have had my Dell Inspiron 3520 laptop for about 2 years now and it has never faulted or messed up. As of last week thursday, my laptop began to have audio problems.

Everything was normal, i was watching YouTube when the sound just cut off. I thought maybe my laptop was glitching so i restarted it. When it came back on, there was a red X by the volume icon. Upon opening the "playback devices", both the speakers AND the headphones were completely gone from the list. Even with "show disabled devices" & "show disconnected devices" ticked on. Another thing i noticed waa my speakers making a cracking static noise. A few days passed by and the cracking noise finally stopped thursday afternoon so i finally got to work.

For the past few days I've been googling every thing and doing everything in my power to fix this issue. I uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, i downloaded the Realtek driver because i thought maybe my laptop was missing that but still nothing happened, i downloaded the correct driver off of the Dell website thinking maybe that was the issue but nothing happened and i restored my computer but again nothing happened.

I ran a test in the Diagnostic area and was able to hear the sound through my speakers so i dont think they are broken. Can anyone please help me?
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: Inspiron 3520 audio not working

Do you have an external speaker to try?

0 Kudos

Thank you for your message. We will be glad to look into this for you.

Was there any recent software changes made like installing any update, games or anti-virus? What is the present OS installed on your computer?

Please click on the message tab – click new message & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

Dell-SreejithRamesh
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Hello. If re-installing the Realtek audio driver didn't help then it could be a hardware issue. If so, it will be covered under the terms of the warranty.
One more software thing you can try is to use Windows System Restore to return the computer back a few days ago, before the audio went off. If the problem is in the software then that might fix it.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
Mia19
1 Nickel

@ieee488 wrote:

Do you have an external speaker to try?

I currently do not own one as of now.

EDIT: So my mom has one and I used hers and the external speaker works. However, if i disconnect it, I'm right back to square one 😞

0 Kudos
Mia19
1 Nickel

@Jim Coates wrote:

Hello. If re-installing the Realtek audio driver didn't help then it could be a hardware issue. If so, it will be covered under the terms of the warranty.
One more software thing you can try is to use Windows System Restore to return the computer back a few days ago, before the audio went off. If the problem is in the software then that might fix it.

Hi, so i tried the system restore already and all it did was restore it back to a few days before when it still was missing sound 😞

0 Kudos
Mia19
1 Nickel

@DELL-Sreejith R wrote:

Thank you for your message. We will be glad to look into this for you.

Was there any recent software changes made like installing any update, games or anti-virus? What is the present OS installed on your computer?

Please click on the message tab – click new message & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

No, I was just watching youtube when this randomly happened. My OS Name says Microsoft Windows 8.1/ 64 bit operating system.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

@Mia19"i restored my computer"

Hello. I overlooked where you had said your restored, in your original message.

If by restored you mean you performed a system recovery (returned the laptop back to the original factory configuration), and you tested immediately after the recovery, and the audio worked all right through the headphone jack but not through the speakers, then there has been hardware failure. System recovery is the best test there is to discover whether or not there has been hardware failure rather than a software issue.

@Mia19"the external speaker works"

Just to be clear, the external speakers were the kind that you plug into the laptop's audio jack, rather than usb or bluetooth speakers?

@Mia19  "Upon opening the "playback devices", both the speakers AND the headphones were completely gone from the list. "

There are no playback devices there at all?  Because if not, i can't figure what is functioning in order for audio to be sent to the external speaker.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos