Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

1 Message

November 24th, 2020 10:00

Inspiron 3521 indecision about memory

Hello to everyone

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 3521 i5-3337U 1.80 GHz 4 gb RAM.
I bought this computer in 2013. I want to upgrade RAM and SSD because it seems slow to me now.
There are articles in the community on this subject, but I want to ask for sure, sorry for that. (Sorry for my English too, I use google translate.)

According to the information I see, a maximum of 8gb ram can be used.
In the videos I saw here and on youtube, I saw them upgrade to 16 gb ram.

What kind of problems can this have? My computer has been out of warranty for years. Do you think I should upgrade 8 gb ram?
Or should I upgrade to 16gb ram?

I think Samsung 860 Evo Sata 3.0 Ssd Disk 500 gb as ssd. Do you think this would be compatible?

Thank you very much for your answers. Again, I apologize for my English, have a nice day.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

November 24th, 2020 10:00

8G is the maximum officially supported by Dell and other memory manufacturers.  That doesn't mean 16G won't work -- it just means no one will back the use of 16G with a money-back guarantee, so if you decide to try, be sure you understand your reseller's return/restocking fees before buying.

That SSD will work just fine.  Just be advised the system is designed for a 9.5 mm height hard drive, and SSDs are 7 mm (or even slimmer) so you may need a spacer to correctly mount the SSD such that it contacts the SATA connector on the system board.

No Events found!