Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Z

5 Posts

December 30th, 2019 10:00

Inspiron 3541 micro freeze due to amd graphics r4 driver

Hello,

ever since the November Window 10 update, I have been experiencing micro-freezing (or lag). This lag happens every 2-3 seconds and lasts about a second, making any typing and video very frustrating. The lag is worse when the CPU is very active. After disabling and uninstalling the AMD Radeon Graphics r4 driver, I realized this driver was causing issues. If I uninstall it and just use the Microsoft Basic Adapter, it stops - until the computer decides to automatically reinstall the driver.

It does not matter if I am using "newest" 2015 driver that is on Dell's website, or the brand new December driver from the AMD website, neither work. I have tried:

- a reset of my computer (and keep files)

- a factory reset (wipe files)

- a clean reinstall of windows

- attempting to download an older version of the driver from the Dell website: not only does this not fix the issue, but in addition, the AMD catalyst install program freezes and crashes

What I have not tried/been able to do:

- by the time I was able to diagnose the problem (it took me weeks) it was too late to do a Windows rollback

- I have not been able to identify older versions of the driver on AMD's site (I just don't know where to look - if you put in your computer specs, it just spits out the most recent driver)

My computer is basically unusable now, and I cannot get any help from Dell because it's no longer under warranty. 

88 Posts

March 2nd, 2020 20:00

I am in the same boat that your in. I am about ready to get a new/used laptop from the local pawn shop. I know the owner and he doesn't sell trashed computers and laptops.

October 23rd, 2020 12:00

Till now in 2020 no solution to this issue and lost hope on @Dell Community frustrated with old drivers

12 Posts

January 30th, 2021 16:00

I have the same problem and discovered if I use Adrenaline drivers it causes mouse lag and erratic performance.

If I use Crimson Relive drivers I have no problems at all.

Windows Updates to Adrenaline drivers so you have to block driver updates in WindowsUpdate.

14 Posts

May 26th, 2021 11:00

@dfm0 wrote:

I have the same problem and discovered if I use Adrenaline drivers it causes mouse lag and erratic performance.

If I use Crimson Relive drivers I have no problems at all.

Windows Updates to Adrenaline drivers so you have to block driver updates in WindowsUpdate.

Thanks for the tip. I downloaded Crimson ReLive v17.4.4 and that worked perfectly, no more freezing!! I tried the newest ReLive v17.11.4 and that didn't work, they removed the Radeon R4 from the compatibility list. At least v17.4.4 is a 2017 driver, and not some ancient 2012 or whatever.

1 Message

September 30th, 2022 06:00

This is the exact issue I was having when refurbishing the laptop. I wish I found this post sooner but I can confirm this is what worked for me after 10 hours of troubleshooting.

1 Message

April 23rd, 2023 09:00

I'm giving it a try. Fingers crossed 

No Events found!